Help Help Help I just killed my ducklings

crazylilchick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Missouri
My order from Ideal took 3 days to get here 4 ducks 3 chicks. One chick DOA one almost DOA I gave them all some suger water and the ducks were drinking and doing so well. Then one died. Now a second one is almost dead. I called Ideal and they said I should have taken the water away after 10 min. Well mine were drinking and playing for the least an hour because I didn't know that! I HAVE STOREYS DUCK BOOK AND IT DIDN'T SAY TO DO THAT. There was very little information on the paper they sent me. Their necks are all full of water and kind of puffy. My ducks survived 3 DAYS in a box and now that they are home they are all going to die because of me. Is there anything I can do at this point?? The damange is done now right? I just have to sit here and watch them die one after another!!!!

I am no expert - but I wanted to reply and say I am so very sorry to hear about what you are going through - dont give up hope maybe someone on here can help you soon.

fl.gif
I will hope for the best

Julie

* DON'T KNOW if this will help or not. . . vit. B6 is a natural diuretic. Comes in 5O mg. Tabs at the drugstore. You could cut one tablet into 4 Pieces, crush ONE QUARTER PIECE into dust and mix it with their food. It may help them pass the excess water. I'd only do it ONCE. Hope it works for you.

Last edited:
Two of the 4 ducks have died. I'm am keeping an eye on the other 2 and have taken away the food and water for a while. I hope they make it. I'm so mad, this didn't have to happen.

Sorry you are having this trouble. I don't think that you are to blame. The poor things were probably stressed and thirsty if they have been in the post for 3 days. I don't know if anything can help but I am sure that you have done all that you can.
Do they often send birds through the post like this? It does not seem to be a good idea to me if it takes 3 days.

Hopefully the last 2 will be ok. Surely they aren't blaming YOU for this are they??? They *should* replace your birds....I'm sorry, it's very sad.

Don't give any additive to ducks if they are not sick. Just plain pure water. Not your fault.
Go to holderreadfarm.com The Holderreads are the experts supreme on waterfowl.

I agree Holderreads are experts on Ducks but I'm frustrated the book I have was written by Holderreads and there was nothing in it about removing the water after 10 minutes. I am also angry they was no warning on Ideals instruction sheet they sent with my ducks. I didn't read the care tips on their web site because I had read holderreads book cover to cover. Anyway the two remaining ducks are doing very well ,thank goodness ,its such a shame the other two died. Thank you all for you help and encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom