1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Help! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickschool, May 27, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    I gave a friend one of my hens about a month ago and she just called me today saying something was wrong. When I got there I noticed that she won't put any weight on one of her legs and she looks really lethargic. My friend told me she'd been doing that for a few days, thanks for telling me sooner! I used a dropper to get some water in her and now that I have her back home she did eat a little and try to move around but I am really worried. I checked out her feet, leg, wing etc. and can't find anything obvious.

Any ideas?

2. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    And I'm noticing that she seems to keep her eye shut a lot on the same side of her body that she's having trouble with.

3. honda_DT

honda_DT Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    I dont know if this is possible but to me it sounds kinda like a stroke. I dont know if chickens can get these

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Any animal with a circulatory system can get a stroke since it is a blood clotting an atery to the brain for a brief period.

I'd give her a round of antibiotics in case it is an internal infection of some sort, and if she doesn't improve, it is highly possible she had a stroke.

Depending on the severity, she can make a partial or full recovery. I wish you the best in nursing her back to health!

5. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    A stroke at 14 weeks? Boy I hope not. What type of antibiotics should I get and I am assuming that I need to purchase them from a vet?

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Does she have diarreah? or any other symtoms associated with her illiness? Dark comb? anything else you can think of?

7. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    No, nothing. When I hold her and feel her body she doesn't seem to have any pain. It is really only when she walks that you can tell. Her eyes are clear, nothing seems swollen or hot. I did however notice that the eye thing is actually on the opposite side of the hurt leg. Could she have simply sprained something and it just needs to heal?

8. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Any other thoughts? I just want her to be comfortable.

9. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    She finally get up and ate a fair amount but really does not want to put a lot of weight on her leg. Could it be her hip. If so does anyone know what I would be feeling for?

10. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Could she have slipped the tendon? Do a search here on slipped tendons to find info on diagnosis and resetting. It usually happens in young birds, but it is still a possibility. If she did slip a tendon, it needs immediate repair; if you wait too long it cannot be fixed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by