Help!Help!Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pen1124, Oct 19, 2012.

1. pen1124

pen1124 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    I just got my OEGB pullets from the post office after 3 days through delivery cross country. I received two pullets about 4 weeks old and one seems to be fine while the other appears almost lifeless. She can sit up but thats about it, I gave her water and put her under a heat lamp, is there anything else I can do for her?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can put a little sugar in the water just temporarily- for an older bird I'd not use it for more than a day, and dip her beak every hour.

Here is the recipe:
    (super stressed one)
    [FONT=arial, helvetica]IF THE BIRDS HAD A HARD TRIP:[/FONT] Instead of using the standard feed and water suggestions listed, try this: Put 6 more tablespoons of sugar in each gallon of water. Then mix some of this extra sweet water with some of your feed to make a soupy mix. Give your birds this special feed and water mix for 3 to 4 days to get them over the effects of shipping.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

You can find the original recipe near the top of the page.

3. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    I'm sure they're tired and dizzy from their long trip. I'm sure they will be recovered after about a day or so.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by