1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP HELP!! Infra Red Lighing....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GypsyChick89, Nov 23, 2014.

1. GypsyChick89

GypsyChick89 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    OK so I have been using a a heat lamp light in my chicken coop and I been been in the process of expanding my coop due to the fact its a little to small. I have NEVER had a pecking issue like the one encountered this evening. I read the article posted on this web sight about " Winter Egg Laying and Lighting" and how the the red light is more soothing and to the chickens, helps them sleep.. and reduces pecking problems...so I went out and bought a red light for my chickens because I want to help them out as much as I can in cold weather. I don't leave the light on through out the night it just on for a while in the evening to help keep the coop a little warmer a little longer. So I turned on the Infra Red...NONE of the chickens would go in the coop..and then once they got in the coop and was like a free for all and 3-4 hens in particular were attacking the other hens and drew blood pecking the others combs and the back of the necks. I was modified naturally so I went and turned the light off and walked back out and it seemed as though things settled down..but now I'm stuck with 3-4 bloody hens and 3-4 hens that might continue to attack. What do I do??? I know one thing the red light will being coming to first thing tomorrow!!! [​IMG]

Below is part of the article I read yesterday.

Red or White Light?
    In general it is advised to use red light, but there are arguments that either work. Red light is more soothing for a chicken, and helps allow them to sleep. As you could imagine, chickens probably won’t want a bright white light shining on them, especially if you are leaving it on all day/night. I’ll discuss additional advantages of red light in the next section.

Benefits of Using Red Light
    There are several studies that show additional benefits of using red light. In general it is said to reduce cannibalism, be calming to the chickens, and reduce pecking problems.
    This is one article I found particularly interesting on red light:
    What happens when chickens see red?
    “A company* that markets red contact lenses for chickens (at 20 cents a pair), points to medical studies showing that chickens wearing red-tinted contact lenses behave differently from birds that don't. They eat less, produce more and don't fight as much. This decreases aggressive tendencies and birds are less likely to peck at each other causing injury. A spokesman said the lenses will improve world egg-laying productivity by $600 million a year.
    (Perhaps everything looks red and they cannot distinguish combs, wattles, or blood. Or ...perhaps the chickens are happier because they're viewing the world through rose colored glasses.)” http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-vision/color-and-vision-matters

2. NDchickens

NDchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2012
    Boyd, WI
    Following. (Aunty Barbie)

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What? Rose contact lenses for chickens? Are you sure the article wasn't satire and you got your leg pulled? I'd be very skeptical.

Your post is a bit confusing. Have you been using the red heat lamp for a while, or did you suddenly put it in the coop one night and turned it on at roosting time, and the hens went nuts when they saw it?

That your hens would suddenly decide to attack each other, whether or not it was the first time they saw the red light, probably has no relationship to the light. I tend to believe the fight was simply coincidental.

If you're in the process of enlarging your coop, the chickens are probably under stress from over-crowding as well as from the construction and change. Usually, this sort of thing is temporary, and things should settle down after you get done with introducing change into their lives. What you had happen is a normal reaction of chickens to stress and change.

Try to calm yourself down, know these things happen with chickens from time to time, but the injuries they inflict on one another are rarely serious, though combs can bleed a lot, making it look serious.

If you want to continue to use the heat lamp, please make very certain it's completely out of reach of chickens flapping around, and that it's hung with a double (fireproof) fastener so it can't possibly fall and start a fire.

4. GypsyChick89

GypsyChick89 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    I read the article on BYC, its on their front banner that's on their home page.. Just today I swapped out the white light for the red light. I did it this afternoon and turned it on like I usually do so they go in the coop otherwise they wonder around outside and don't go in the coop. So I went out after dark and none of them would go in the coop with the red light on so then I opened the door and put fresh water and more food in (They already had food and water but sometimes if I put fresh stuff in there they all will come in the coop) And they all came in the then all the sudden some of then hens just starting attacking the other hens and just kept fighting so i ran back in the house and turned the light off and then went back out and they all had found their spots on the roost and seemed to be fine again. It was so strange [​IMG]

5. CloeyCoraCamila

CloeyCoraCamila Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2014
    Our girls didn't like it the first few nights - it was strange to them and had to be coaxed in first 3 nights - I continued to use it (we leave ours on to keep it warm all night) and they are fine with it now , and laying again - it took 2wks to start laying again

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by