HELP HELP My Chicken Has Sour Crop I Think

Pics

LemonTheChicken

Chirping
Mar 6, 2024
Hi everyone
Yesterday I was in the backyard at about lunchtime and 1 of my 2 chickens Lemon was acting weird I knew Lemon was sick because within 15 min, she was normal to walking slower maybe 5 meters stand there for 3 min, and repeat. I think there was blood on her Cloaca I washed it off and tried to see what had caused it but could not see anything she is normally a very crazy chicken lol she runs around talks like crazy and annoys her non-biological sister eg. chasing her then running straight past her and pecking her very hard on the head so her sis squawks and runs away they are still very close friends. Sometimes Ninja runs and ducks from Lemon because she thinks Lemon will peck/hurt her. She will not go to bed by herself neither I have to put them to bed a different story. They will sit on the back of the chairs on the patio but Lemon just sat on the ground ( not enough energy to hop up) I was very worried by this point I put them to bed and checked on her multiple times throughout the night. Today I let them out Ninja ran around like normal and talking like normal.
Lemon is normally the first out of the coop but not today she just sat on the roost. I put her on the ground she stood up and walked under the hedge and stood there for 5 minutes before sitting for 2 min then walking maybe 2 meters stand there for 10 min and repeat. Her cloaca is looking fine but she is very quiet and not talking much Her crop feels full of liquid like sour crop but her breath does not stink and when I pick her up she rests her head on my arm and goes to sleep within 1 minute.
I do not want to lose her she is my life lol I will try nearly anything please help me and my girl.

I'd check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it has not emptied, then I'd begin treating according to the article linked below.

You mention blood on the vent, that's a concern. Did she lay an egg today?
I'd re-check the vent and make sure she's not having problems laying an egg or that she hasn't prolapsed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'd check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it has not emptied, then I'd begin treating according to the article linked below.

You mention blood on the vent, that's a concern. Did she lay an egg today?
I'd re-check the vent and make sure she's not having problems laying an egg or that she hasn't prolapsed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
she has not had anything today maybe some dirt and 4 grass leaves
I just checked her vent it seems fine no eggs today or yesterday (the day this started) or the day before and I cannot feel any eggs
Thank you for your reply and help

How old is she?
What do you feed, including treats?
Does she lay eggs and if so when is the last time she laid one?
Can you post a picture of her poop please?
she is 1 yr and 5 months in 10 days
she gets fed whatever she gets when free-ranging and pellets
she laid an egg not on 4 March 2024 so 3 days ago
I will send a pic of her poo as soon as I work out how to

she is 1 yr and 5 months in 10 days
she gets fed whatever she gets when free-ranging and pellets
she laid an egg not on 4 March 2024 so 3 days ago
I will send a pic of her poo as soon as I work out how to
and i do give her a little bit of my lunch which is normally rice wrap and peanut butter as a treat and about every 3rd morning she gets some cooked egg white

So what kind of pellets? Layer? All-flock?
Do you provide grit? Oyster shell? Any kind of treats like scratch or corn? Table scraps?
What part of the world are you in (to get an idea of what kinds of grasses or plants she might be exposed to while free-ranging), just in general?

Okay, can you pick her up and feel her belly and underside all the way from her ribs to her cloaca and see if it feels like she may have an egg stuck in there somewhere? If you feel really brave you could also put something like Vaseline on a finger and gently insert it into her vent about an inch and see it you feel an egg stuck inside.

Back
Top Bottom