HELP HELP My Chicken Has Sour Crop I Think

she has not had anything today maybe some dirt and 4 grass leaves
I just checked her vent it seems fine no eggs today or yesterday (the day this started) or the day before and I cannot feel any eggs
Thank you for your reply and help

Her breath is starting to smell
Please check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If the crop is not empty and you notice a smell, then begin treating for Sour Crop.
Miconazole or Clotrimazole can be used for treatment. You can find these at Walmart, CVS, etc.
Miconazole is commonly found in the women's vaginal care section the "name brand" is Monistat, but generic store brand is fine.
Clotrimazole can be found in the athlete's foot section of the store, I think the "name brand" is Lotrimin, but again, store brand is fine, just look for the active ingredient.

I'd also get extra calcium into her for a few days as suggested since she seemed to be doing better after laying an egg.
Calcium Citrate with D3 can be found at Walmart, CVS, etc. in the vitamin aisle.
Give 1 tablet daily for a week.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Please check the crop first thing in the morning before she had anything to eat/drink. If the crop is not empty and you notice a smell, then begin treating for Sour Crop.
Miconazole or Clotrimazole can be used for treatment. You can find these at Walmart, CVS, etc.
Miconazole is commonly found in the women's vaginal care section the "name brand" is Monistat, but generic store brand is fine.
Clotrimazole can be found in the athlete's foot section of the store, I think the "name brand" is Lotrimin, but again, store brand is fine, just look for the active ingredient.

I'd also get extra calcium into her for a few days as suggested since she seemed to be doing better after laying an egg.
Calcium Citrate with D3 can be found at Walmart, CVS, etc. in the vitamin aisle.
Give 1 tablet daily for a week.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
@Wyrop rock
she seems a lot better now while I was not home she literally did a bank heist at a chicken food bank LOL 🤣 her crop is like a rock😖 she is running and talking but still not 100%
I gave her 12 ml of 50/50 ACV and water Yesterday afternoon about 19 hours ago that seemed to help should I keep that up?? and a few friends said to try yogurt which type of yogurt and how much and when

We're in Australia so no CVS or Walmart we try to stay as natural as possible too

lemon was purring about 5 min ago but now
lemon is sleeping on my lap Lol

I would go easy with the ACV, just mix it normally like 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water.

Right! Her crop should be full if she's eating, so checking the crop when she's eaten is not going to give you a good idea of function.
You want to check in the morning, first thing before she's had anything to eat or drink. If the crop has not emptied, then begin treating.

If you want to work with something a bit more "natural" then you can start by giving 1 teaspoon coconut oil twice a day. If the crop is sour, don't massage it.
Then I'd try giving the recipe for Doughy Crop that is in this article below. Be sure to read the whole article, very important information in there.
BUT if the crop has turned Sour, then I highly recommend that you treat with an antifungal/yeast medication like Miconazole, Clotrimazole, Nystatin, etc. you don't want to let it get out of control.

Yogurt may help feed a yeasty crop, so if it's turning sour, I would not give yogurt at this time.

DO get extra Calcium into her. Calcium Citrate with D3 is best for quick uptake, but you can use Calcium Carbonate like TUMS if that's all you can get.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

I would go easy with the ACV, just mix it normally like 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water.

Right! Her crop should be full if she's eating, so checking the crop when she's eaten is not going to give you a good idea of function.
You want to check in the morning, first thing before she's had anything to eat or drink. If the crop has not emptied, then begin treating.

If you want to work with something a bit more "natural" then you can start by giving 1 teaspoon coconut oil twice a day. If the crop is sour, don't massage it.
Then I'd try giving the recipe for Doughy Crop that is in this article below. Be sure to read the whole article, very important information in there.
BUT if the crop has turned Sour, then I highly recommend that you treat with an antifungal/yeast medication like Miconazole, Clotrimazole, Nystatin, etc. you don't want to let it get out of control.

Yogurt may help feed a yeasty crop, so if it's turning sour, I would not give yogurt at this time.

DO get extra Calcium into her. Calcium Citrate with D3 is best for quick uptake, but you can use Calcium Carbonate like TUMS if that's all you can get.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
ok I will get her some extra calcium for her and I will update you ASAP in the in morning
I will continue the ACV as well
and I will start the coco oil
should I do coco oil and ACV for my other girl as well

ok I will get her some extra calcium for her and I will update you ASAP in the in morning
I will continue the ACV as well
and I will start the coco oil
should I do coco oil and ACV for my other girl as well
My friend, I am going to give you one last bit of advice. Now that @Wyorp Rock is assisting you, please take her advice and do not listen to anyone else. How many doctors do you go to when you are sick? Just one, right? The same principle applies here. Conflicting advice will not help your chicken and may make things worse. Wyorp Rock has a little tag next to her name that says "BYC Educator." She has earned that title by her years of experience and research. Do please listen to her. ❤️

My friend, I am going to give you one last bit of advice. Now that @Wyorp Rock is assisting you, please take her advice and do not listen to anyone else. How many doctors do you go to when you are sick? Just one, right? The same principle applies here. Conflicting advice will not help your chicken and may make things worse. Wyorp Rock has a little tag next to her name that says "BYC Educator." She has earned that title by her years of experience and research. Do please listen to her. ❤️
ok i will thank you once again

Back
Top Bottom