Help! Help ! What is wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LindsaySinai, Aug 22, 2014.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black sores, facial swelling, not laying, one is sneezing with white discharge out its eye. Some eyelids are swollen closed on the worst ones.

2. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    could be a bad case of fowl pox- kind of like chicken pox for birds

3. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Anything I can do for that?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It does look a lot like Fowl Pox. This fortunately isn't usually serious disease and often goes away on its own in 4-6 weeks. However, there are things that you can do to make your chickens more comfortable.

First, dab some iodine on the scabs. This will help them dry up and fall off. Putting petroleum jelly on the scabs can help them soften, and then you can gently remove them. This may allow the birds to see better.

Make sure that they are getting enough to eat and drink. Scabs may interfere with their vision. Give them more feeders or hand feed them. This is probably stressing them out, so treats and more deliecious food than just chicken feed may tempt them to eat more.

Add some electrolytes and probiotics to the water. This should help with the stress.

It may also be a good idea to give them some broad-spectrum antibiotics. Often times, a secondary infection in the form of a respiratory disease occurs with Fowl Pox. Antibiotics will help prevent that and cure it if they acquire one. Keep in mind that you can't give antibiotics while giving probiotics. Terramycin, Duramycin, and Erythromycin are all antibiotics you could try.

In 4-6 weeks, your birds should be fine once more. They will have gained a resistance to this strain of Fowl Pox.

Watch them closely for any signs of secondary infections, which could occur due to their weakened immune system.

Best wishes to you and your birds!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

6. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Thank you!!! I really really appreciate the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by