HELP!! Hen attacked by dog!

Thanks for the help and support everyone! She seems to be ‘waking up’ a bit and has eaten some of the watermelon but I still can’t get her to drink.

I’ve taken the gauze off for now so it can ‘air out’.
She is making progress. Sounds great. Gatorade is good for them when they aren’t right. I put some in a shot glass and my sick birds always enjoyed it. Plus it has the electrolytes! Thanks for the update. Is the wound closing?

I haven’t used the Gatorade, but prefer Poultry NutriDrench or SaveAChick electroltes with vitamins. Someone mentioned the other day that the red flavor of Gatorade (fruit punch?) was liked by their chickens. Glad to hear that she is getting fluids from the watermelon.

How soon do y’all think she can go outside?

I’m leaving tomorrow morning to head over to Louisiana (church camp) and won’t be back for a week.

When can I offer her normal feed?

Last edited:
No, her shoulder is purple.

I’m bad with chicken anatomy and terms but the area around her (shoulder?) joint is dark purple. My mind just went blank :th

I know what I’m trying to say but I can’t remember what it’s called. It’s like her wing socket? :idunno

How soon do y’all think she can go outside?

I’m leaving tomorrow morning to head over to Louisiana (church camp) and won’t be back for a week.

When can I offer her normal feed?
I would offer her normal feed now.
As for when she can go back out, that's hard to know. The others may pick at her wound if it's open. You will want to keep flies off the wound as well since they can cause FlyStrike, you don't want that at all.
Do you have separate housing that she can go in and be near the flock?

I would offer her normal feed now.
As for when she can go back out, that's hard to know. The others may pick at her wound if it's open. You will want to keep flies off the wound as well since they can cause FlyStrike, you don't want that at all.
Do you have separate housing that she can go in and be near the flock?

Not really, we only have the dog crate that she’s in, but it’s a bit too bulky to fit inside the coop. We’re building them a new coop/run that will be much bigger (more chickens ;)) .

Back
Top Bottom