Help! Hen being extremely loud, worried about something being wrong

ChxLadyMary

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Hello! I have a light Brahma hen who just started laying a few weeks ago so pretty recently. Yesterday and even more so today she has been extremely loud and will not stop squawking. She has also been staying farther away from the flock when she is being extra loud. This is my first flock and I heard chickens being egg bound is a problem and I was wondering if that could be it or something else is happening. We do not want to annoy our neighbors and have them complain about our chickens so help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hello! I have a light Brahma hen who just started laying a few weeks ago so pretty recently. Yesterday and even more so today she has been extremely loud and will not stop squawking. She has also been staying farther away from the flock when she is being extra loud. This is my first flock and I heard chickens being egg bound is a problem and I was wondering if that could be it or something else is happening. We do not want to annoy our neighbors and have them complain about our chickens so help would be appreciated. Thank you!
She might just be an extra dramatic chicken ;) . Either singing the distress call/egg laying song OR what I like to call ‘chicken-waulin’ - super loud, sometimes impatient ‘singing’. My girls often chicken-waul when they need to lay an egg, or just because they are bored.

We are also new to chickens this year and when ours started laying they also started singing.....loudly!!! We were extremely concerned about the noise level upsetting our neighbors. I decided to bring some freshly laid eggs over and just explain that the egg song was a beautiful sound because it means I will have more eggs to share. They seemed very pleased with this explanation. And thank goodness! There are days we will have 4 or more hens rejoicing all together!!
And in the winter they get extremely loud when a hawk is flying over. I also spun that one as a reminder to look up and see a beautiful hawk😜
And I'm sure it helps to live in an extremely progressive town with awesome neighbors ❤️

Not unusual for newly laying pullets to be raucously cacophonous.
Some will quiet down after laying for while....some may never shut up.
An egg bound bird will not be loud....it will be sick and lethargic.

Back
Top Bottom