HELP! HEN DIARRHEA! HELP!

Gtchickens

Hatching
May 20, 2015
Hey guys! My light brahma hen, who is 5 years old, seems to have a diahhrea problem. Please help, I've very worried. I hope she gets better soon.

This started yesterday. My hen, named Ginger, seems to have trouble pooping. the feathers around her vent have some green and white poop stuck to it. Her vent is pink, which I think is normal. When she is trying to poop,she squats and clucks, trying to get it out. She manages to get a little green brown poop out that is kind of watery, but she stands there, and tries to poop more. After a while, she will go and peck around or rest, but it happens occasionally during the day. Ginger's physical appearance is okay, everything is fine except for her vent area, which has poop stuck there. Sometimes I can hear her breathing when she's trying to poop, but most of the time her breathing is normal. She is also eating and drinking fine. I went to give a treat to the chickens today, and she was very active getting the crumbs of bread! She pecks around with her fellow chicken too, but is less active than usual and stands around looking normal (eyes open, feathers looking normal, etc) She also let's me carry her, which is something she only let me do occasionally before.

Tonight when I went to check on my hens, she was roosting on a bar, as usual, but her feathers were slightly fluffed and she had liquid dripping out of her vent, about one drip in 30 seconds.

I'd there any suggestions or things I can do? I really want to help her because I love my hens very much. I am going to clean the coop tomorrow, I hope that helps. I also found a link that was useful, so you can take a look.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/diarrhea-in-adult-chickens.html

Thank you for reading, I appreciate it so much. Please reply ASAP if you have anything to share with me. THANK YOU :)

Hey guys! My light brahma hen, who is 5 years old, seems to have a diahhrea problem. Please help, I've very worried. I hope she gets better soon.

This started yesterday. My hen, named Ginger, seems to have trouble pooping. the feathers around her vent have some green and white poop stuck to it. Her vent is pink, which I think is normal. When she is trying to poop,she squats and clucks, trying to get it out. She manages to get a little green brown poop out that is kind of watery, but she stands there, and tries to poop more. After a while, she will go and peck around or rest, but it happens occasionally during the day. Ginger's physical appearance is okay, everything is fine except for her vent area, which has poop stuck there. Sometimes I can hear her breathing when she's trying to poop, but most of the time her breathing is normal. She is also eating and drinking fine. I went to give a treat to the chickens today, and she was very active getting the crumbs of bread! She pecks around with her fellow chicken too, but is less active than usual and stands around looking normal (eyes open, feathers looking normal, etc) She also let's me carry her, which is something she only let me do occasionally before.

Tonight when I went to check on my hens, she was roosting on a bar, as usual, but her feathers were slightly fluffed and she had liquid dripping out of her vent, about one drip in 30 seconds.

I'd there any suggestions or things I can do? I really want to help her because I love my hens very much. I am going to clean the coop tomorrow, I hope that helps. I also found a link that was useful, so you can take a look.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/diarrhea-in-adult-chickens.html

Thank you for reading, I appreciate it so much. Please reply ASAP if you have anything to share with me. THANK YOU
smile.png
My first thought is an intestinal infection. If the problem persists for more than a few days I would put the hen on antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom