Help, hen egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NorthIdahoChick, Apr 17, 2012.

1. NorthIdahoChick

NorthIdahoChick New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    I lost a hen this morning and I am very sad. She was about a year old Plymouth Rock. I am not sure exactly what happened and just wanted some input.

We haven't had the egg production the past few week, we were thinking it was due to a change in the weather. But we found one hen on the floor of the coop this morning. She was lethargic and shaking, her eyes were closed and wouldn't move when we touched her. I wasn't sure what to do and called some local vets. Unfortuantely I couldn't get a hold of anyone before 8am. I noticed some milky white fluid spots on the floor of the coop and I tried a warm compress to her vent. I also noticed what appeared to be yoke coming out of her vent. I didn’t want to soak her in warm water because I wasn’t sure if that would make matters worse if an egg was broken inside her. I was also scared to try flushing her with a vinegar solution because I had no idea what I was doing. I was on my way to the vets with her and unfortunately she died before I could get her there.

My question is this: how do I take care of this situation in the future to avoid the stress of a trip to the vet's? And can a rooster break an egg when trying to mate? I am assuming that egg binding is what happened, but she had more broken feathers on her back than the other hens. I think she must have been Petey’s favorite hen, is there a possibility that he could have had something to do with this?
    Thanks for any input!

2. rparrny

rparrny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    I'm so sorry about your loss. I'm new to this but have read that if a hen is egg bound there is nothing you can do....

Rivka

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by