Help, hen falling over***update :(

Well, I finally was able to get Betty into the vet. The Dr thought it was a possibility that she could have a Protizoan infection, which could affect the nerve that runs along the top of the legs, causing them not to work corrrectly. She said that although a protizoan infection it is very common( in almost all natural waters) chickens are usually able to carry it with no problems what so ever. Anyway, I was sent home with some anitbiotics and she told me that I should see some improvement within 24-48 hours, and that I should call her if no improvement in 3 days. Well, Betty only got worse. So I brought her back in and the Dr was pretty sure it was Marek's Disease. I had her euthanized, and asked the Dr to do a necropsy, Sure enough, it was Marek's. I'll miss Betty. She was definately one of my favorites. Very friendly and beautiful. The flock just doesn't seem the same without her. Thanks to all that offered suggestions, and let me just say that I am so glad the chicks I just got a week ago, I had vaccinated for Marek's.

44142_dscf0090_063.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the update and the nice photo of Betty. It is so, so helpful when people tell what happened with their chicken in the end, even if it was not great news, and to have the Vet feedback and necropsy results is invaluable! I'm very sorry about your Betty.

I had a rooster and a hen act like that within the last 10 days. We had to put them down, I bought them from other people as adults, so I don't know if they were vaccinated. Mine acted as if they had no equilibrium. each day they'd just get a little worse, other people on here wondered if mine had mareks disease, I didn't like what I read about it. good luck

Quote:
I purchased Betty as an adult as well, and highly doubt she was vaccinated. Unfortunately, I also got my three other hens from their too. I am hoping they stay ok. The Vet did say that she has never seen Marek's take out an entire flock at once, though it is possible they can come down with it in the future. She said their is also a very good chance that they never will.
smile.png
The Vet also said that she is seeing an increase in Marek's disease in older birds. Since more and more chickens are becoming pets and living longer than the average 1-2 years, when most are killed for meat or lack of egg laying. It seems that the Marek's vaccine is loosing its effect as the chicken gets older. Since the only vaccine that is out right now is for one day olds, their is no way to boost them (as you would cat, dogs, or even people, with their vaccines.) As for Betty, I especially wanted to do the necropsy, so I could know what I was dealing with. Kind of sad to know that unless I am able to purchase Marek's vaccine, I won't be hatching a little ones here on my property in the future. (although I have seen it available on line, I didn't read up on the specifics of it. The Dr told me that it comes in 1000 dose vials, and is very temperamental in the way it is stored, liquid nitrogen? and has to be use within a very short amount of time, since it is a live virus) Thanks again for all the support and advice!

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I am soooo sorry to hear about ur beloved hen!! I'm going thru something similar, I just posted about how I'm 99% sure its worms. My hen had the same symptoms. Walked like she was drunk or something. & she was eating fine. Well last sat she started 2 become listless & not move around a lot. At first I was told (by a guy I know who knows a lot bout chickens) that it was paratyphoid. (He diagnosed over the phone). Well now I'm treating her for worms. I feel so helpless. Its been almost 3 wks now. She's my first & I'm so scared of wat may happen. I'm so in love with her. I'm gonna hav to check out mareks. Again I'm sorry for ur loss.

That is too bad, but Marek's is so mysterious on why one chicken and not another, it is impossible to predict how this will affect the others in the future. I have 15 adult hens now out of 24. I lost 3 to Mareks and 6 to predators, so in my case, the Mareks is not such a big factor. I have not had another chick come down with it in well over a year, so it's just one of those things with chicken-raising that I have learned to look for.
Good luck with your flock in the future!

Back
Top Bottom