Help Hen has red butt (below vent) very swollen and pulsating

Chics4me

Hatching
Apr 25, 2018
Not sure how to treat her. From what I read I gave her a warm Epson salt bath for approx. 15-20 min. She is eating and drinking and pooping. Not sure what else to do for her. Can you help please.

ignore the white, she sat in yogurt
Big Girls Butt.jpg

Did she always have this? (I'm guessing not) It could be lice which would irritate her at the base of her feather shafts enough to make her pick herself. Information on how to treat (if that's the problem) is here --->https://www.backyardchickencoops.co...be-time-to-check-your-chooks-for-biting-pests
It's not lice, I've checked over and over... some are saying water belly and some are saying egg bound, but no one is saying what I need to do to find out exactly what it is and how to help her. ughhhh feeling helpless here

Is there an avian vet nearby that you can bring her to? I honestly don't know what's wrong with her. Maybe someone who has experience with what you chicken has will chime in?

@Chics4me
Hi
I doubt she is egg bound with that amount of swelling but to check you need to lube a gloved finger and insert it into her vent about an inch. If she has an egg stuck, that is most likely where it will be and you should be able to feel it. Usually they will die within a couple of days with being egg bound because it blocks the elimination of waste (pooping) and the bird dies of a build up of toxins in the body.

Sometimes a shell less egg will cause them issues in trying to pass it and the vent will pulse but again it will not cause that amount of swelling.... that said, a dietary imbalance can cause them to lay down significant fatty deposits in this area which can make it look swollen like this and can also cause them to lay shell less or soft shelled eggs, so that might be the issue. What do you feed them, including treats? It looks like she is a buff Orp and being larger birds they are more prone to developing these thick fatty deposits.

Other possibilities are Ascites, Internal Laying possibly leading to Egg Yolk Peritonitis or Salpingitis.

The fact that her vent is pulsing suggests it is a soft shelled egg or Salpingitis as contractions of the oviduct are probably causing the pulsing. However it is also possible that the pulsating is due to the rear air sacs either side of the vent heaving due to pressure being put upon the respiratory system by a mass of fluid or egg material caused by the other ailments mentioned..... does she appear to have any respiratory distress ie is she open mouth breathing/panting....if so, is the rhythm of this in synch with the pulsing of her vent?
Can you take some video footage of her to help us see what you are seeing? It needs to be uploaded to the likes of You Tube or Vimeo and then post a link to it here.
Does her belly feel like a water balloon?
Is her lower back rounded and hunched?
Has she laid weak shelled eggs recently?
Does she walk with a wide stance like her hips are being pushed apart?
.... compare with other chickens to get a better idea of what is normal.
Do You know when she last laid an egg?
Have you seen any lash eggs in recent days/week?

Unfortunately it is not easy to tell the difference between Salpingitis, internal laying/EYP and/or Ascites. The main difference with Ascites and internal laying is that the belly hangs lower between the legs whereas the impaction of the oviduct caused by Salpingitis is usually suspended a little higher in the body.

Sadly with most of these ailments the long term prognosis is poor. A soft shelled egg and or dietary imbalance is probably your best hope. Knowing what you feed them may help to indicate if this could be the issue.

I'm sorry that I am unable to give you clear and concise things to look for to figure this out. Vets sometimes resort to Xrays to try to determine the nature of the problem but even then they can get it wrong, as a recent thread here highlighted.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that with Ascites (water belly) the bird will usually feel considerably heavier than you would expect. Water is heavier than fat or lash egg material so it is sometimes possible to differentiate in this way.... again it is best to compare with other hens of a similar breed or build to get an idea of what is normal.

Ascites can be drained to give almost immediate relief, but the underlying cause of it is difficult to pinpoint and treat and so the fluid will most likely return over the following weeks. There are also risks of introducing an infection whilst inserting a needle to drain, puncturing the gut or the bird going into shock due to the sudden drop in pressure from removing a large amount of fluid.... all can be fatal, but hen so can the fluid build up.
If you are thinking of going to a vets for treatment it may be important to consider that there is a high likelihood that the bird will die sooner or later from one of these ailments even with veterinary treatment, so be wary of throwing a lot of money at the problem in the hope it can be fixed. Not trying to dissuade you from visiting a vet but just making you aware that a lot of money can be spent with little or no gain in these situations.

Back
Top Bottom