Help! Hen has swollen/sort of bleeding vent and is limping

She is doing a lot better!
We feed pellets mixed with a little bit of scratch, along with a little bit of oyster shells. They also get occasional treats (mealworms, worms/slugs, kitchen scraps, weeds, etc.)
I don't think she has a problem with her crop emptying. She eats a lot during the day, and the next morning before she eats it's pretty empty.
If she has leg mites, should we rub vaseline on the other hens too?
You can do what you think is necessary to help you birds :) it could just be seasonal molting, my ducks can look pretty ugly per-say when they're molting.

I put her back in the coop with the other hens, she seems fine at the moment. I think I'll get some diatomaceous earth for the mite problem.
Would the other hens peck at the bald spots/strange feathers?
Thanks so much for your help!

DE is not an effective treatment against Scaly Leg Mites. These particular mites live under the scales of the legs and feet where DE won't reach. Vaseline is an effective way to smother them, but it does need to be applied weekly.

Permethrin dust or spray is most effective against mites and lice found on the body.

DE is not an effective treatment against Scaly Leg Mites. These particular mites live under the scales of the legs and feet where DE won't reach. Vaseline is an effective way to smother them, but it does need to be applied weekly.

Permethrin dust or spray is most effective against mites and lice found on the body.
Oh, I didn't know that. My friend uses DE (along with Vaseline) to help with mites with her silkies so I thought it would work. What is DE for then?

DE is like a dust. Some people do use in their dust bathing areas or in their gardens. It would need to be refreshed once wet.
Try it and see if it helps, but I would suspect the Vaseline is what is treating the mites.

Back
Top Bottom