Help Hen is doing worse

cleoandtheflock

Crowing
Jan 16, 2019
Georgia
I made another thread not too long ago but I have no idea how to find it again so I will do this one

I have a hen named Millie who is a D’Uccle

We have had Millie now for around 5 months when we got her she was a perky healthy hen but now not so much.
When we brought her home we let her take care of our lonely sick chick who’s sister died. you can read about the sick chick in the thread called mites everywhere. The chick had many things going on with her she had coccidiosis that we thought we got rid of but when we got a fecal sample done their was still traces of coccidia, and the chick probably had marked disease oh and she had mites and a fungal infection in her throat and her feathers were turning black and falling out sadly the chick died after not long having her. Millie was a very good mother to the chick and let the chick climb under her for comfort. When the chick died Millie was sad but quickly got over it. I am telling you all this because I think her daily contact with the chick may have affected her health now.

Millie is just about a year old she was laying eggs daily but I haven’t gotten a Millie egg for about a week now

She has been showing symptoms for a few months now
She is
- light weight
- has a strange air sac in between her crop and keel and when you press it it makes a popping sound
- won’t make sounds except wheezing like sounds
- pale comb
-strange poop
- not laying eggs a lot

Questions:
Do you think the chick she’s cared for is affecting her now?
What is the air sac in between her crop and keel?
How can I help her?

I will post pictures of her in the morning when the sun is out

Help

Millie is sadly showing symptoms again

She has an awfully pale and bumpy comb, she is skinny, crop never seems full, terrible poop, poop vent, and she sometimes makes gurgle sounds

Any advice?

Everyone I have sad sad news

A few minutes ago when I went to go to shut the hens in the coop Millie was dead on the coop floor but she looked peaceful
Rip Millie we live you

I'm sorry about your Millie. It's always hard losing a beloved animal.

Please use this experience, and try to learn from it so you can do better in the future. Putting Millie with a sick chick was not really the best idea. Then putting Millie back into the coop after being exposed to illness may have unintended consequences as well. Quarantine is for a good reason, but I'm confident you will do your best to prevent this sort of thing happening again.

Sorry to preach. Really.

Back
Top Bottom