HELP!!! Hen is Limping and breathing with mouth open

Pics

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
She's limping. I can't find anything wrong with her leg/foot. Shes breathing with her mouth open. She stands still so she doesn't have to walk but when she does she stands on the branch off the ground so the others don't bug her. She let me pick up uup and check her which she usallly doesn't. No other symptoms unless I'm not seeing any. She's lai soft eggs in the past but its been weeks since and shes molting I think. (Other hens are molting as well)

"When your hen is egg bound, your hen may appear weak, show no interest in moving or eating, have a “panting” respiratory rate, and may have some abdominal straining. One or both legs may appear lame due to the egg pressing on the nerves in the pelvis" -searched on google. Is she eggbound?

I won't really be able to help you, but I can ask some questions that may help those that can. How old is she? When did you first notice the problem? Is she getting worse, better, or staying about the same? Is she eating, drinking, grooming, roosting and pooping as normal? Can you post any pics of her poo? Is her crop full at night and empty in the morning before she's had access to food or water? How many soft or shell-less eggs has she laid, and when was the last one? And when is the last time she laid an egg, if you know?

I won't really be able to help you, but I can ask some questions that may help those that can. How old is she? When did you first notice the problem? Is she getting worse, better, or staying about the same? Is she eating, drinking, grooming, roosting and pooping as normal? Can you post any pics of her poo? Is her crop full at night and empty in the morning before she's had access to food or water? How many soft or shell-less eggs has she laid, and when was the last one? And when is the last time she laid an egg, if you know?
Thank you. She is a year old. Turning 2 in March. I came home at 2:30 didnt go into the coop until 4 and that's when I noticed I think shes about the same. I saw her eatin% before she went to roost for bed just now. Idk if she drank but I'm guessing in the morning she did so. I havent seen her poop. Grooming and roosting is normal. Her crop was soft/squishy not very full but yes in the morning her crop is empty.shes laid alot of soft eggs and I would say it's been weeks many weeks since she laid an egg last. She started molting so I wasnt expecting anything. But she has barely lost any feathers so it might be from the other Plymouth molting but it's that time of the month.

Thank you. She is a year old. Turning 2 in March. I came home at 2:30 didnt go into the coop until 4 and that's when I noticed I think shes about the same. I saw her eatin% before she went to roost for bed just now. Idk if she drank but I'm guessing in the morning she did so. I havent seen her poop. Grooming and roosting is normal. Her crop was soft/squishy not very full but yes in the morning her crop is empty.shes laid alot of soft eggs and I would say it's been weeks many weeks since she laid an egg last. She started molting so I wasnt expecting anything. But she has barely lost any feathers so it might be from the other Plymouth molting but it's that time of the month.
Okay, thanks, that is all helpful info. Let me call on @Eggcessive , @Wyorp Rock and @azygous to see if they have any insight for you.

Sorry she’s not feeling well, 2 of my hens have had limping issues in the past at separate times, i can only guess from jumping from something and spraining the leg. I’ve eliminated all other possible causes, kept an eye and eventually they got better. But that’s only after knowing it wasn’t caused by another issue. I’m by no means an expert in chicken care but I’m hoping it’s just a sprain for your girl. She may have been mouth breathing if the injury scared her?? The egg laying issues, I’m. It sure, mine have already slowed laying due to the season change.

Have you added any new birds to the flock in the last few months? Have you ever had an unexpected death or a lame chicken before? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Make sure that she can get to food and water. Let us know if she bets worse.

Back
Top Bottom