HELP!!! Hen is Limping and breathing with mouth open

I encourage drinking or eating by holding a small cup or lid up to the beak. You can dip their beak for a second to get the message. A tuna or cat food can can be used for this. Some hold a spoon up to the side of the beak. Tube feeding is something that can be easily learned.

I encourage drinking or eating by holding a small cup or lid up to the beak. You can dip their beak for a second to get the message. A tuna or cat food can can be used for this. Some hold a spoon up to the side of the beak. Tube feeding is something that can be easily learned.
She doesnt allow me to put her beaks into anything. She turns away or when the water hits her beak she shakes her head.

I let her out of her cage because she was getting antsy. But the rooster makes her very nervous. If he comes near her she runs and sometimes he chases her. I might put him in the cage to see if hes the problem. I also think I figured out the limping issue. She isnt limping anymore, her one nail is very ling and growing a curve to the ground so if she stands it keeps her toe up. I might have to trim it.

Came home today and she was perching up on the branch so no one would bother mostly rooster. Idk why all a sudden shes scared of him. Shes eating but still not drinking. Well she may be drinking when I'm not there but idk. How should I help her in any way?

Reluctance to hold weight on a leg can also mean abdominal pain. How is her egg situation; still not laying?

You should give her abdomen a good feel - check for any lumps, eggs, swelling or unusually hot spots. - I'd recommend doing this with a healthy hen first so you have a good comparison to go by, especially for temp as chickens run hotter than we do.

If she tries to brace and squat when inspected, that could mean a bound egg or abdominal infection.

Check her keel bone at the breast to confirm if she's losing condition. It should be well-muscled and not overly prominent in a healthy hen.

How are her feces? Anything unusual to note there? When was the last time your flock was dewormed?

Reluctance to hold weight on a leg can also mean abdominal pain. How is her egg situation; still not laying?

You should give her abdomen a good feel - check for any lumps, eggs, swelling or unusually hot spots. - I'd recommend doing this with a healthy hen first so you have a good comparison to go by, especially for temp as chickens run hotter than we do.

If she tries to brace and squat when inspected, that could mean a bound egg or abdominal infection.

Check her keel bone at the breast to confirm if she's losing condition. It should be well-muscled and not overly prominent in a healthy hen.

How are her feces? Anything unusual to note there? When was the last time your flock was dewormed?
Still not laying. I'll give her a check right now thank you. This picture is from yesterday. I dont think I've ever deformed the flock.

Attachments

• 20211017_081216.jpg
    20211017_081216.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 4
is there anyway you can take her to a vet for an exam? i don’t mean to scare you but i had a chicken with very similar symptoms and when i took her to the vet the next day she passed away on the vet table. i didn’t get a autopsy, but the vet said she had an abdominal tumor the size of a plum.

if not, have you done an internal exam to feel for a lodged egg? i know it sounds daunting but it’s fairly straightforward. there are many tutorials online.

is there anyway you can take her to a vet for an exam? i don’t mean to scare you but i had a chicken with very similar symptoms and when i took her to the vet the next day she passed away on the vet table. i didn’t get a autopsy, but the vet said she had an abdominal tumor the size of a plum.

if not, have you done an internal exam to feel for a lodged egg? i know it sounds daunting but it’s fairly straightforward. there are many tutorials online.
I want to take her to a vet but the only one that would take chickens are an hour away. I dont think its daunting lol I'll be happy to do one so she can feel better.

Okay so I gave her an outside check and I cant find anything unusual. At first the part in between her legs and under her butt seemed bigger cause the other hen I felt didnt have that but I felt another hen and she has something similar. Plus plymouth is just a bigger hen. Shes hiding out in the coop because she doesnt like the rooster and my silkie is staying with her which is how I figured soemthing was wrong in the first place because my silkie (who doesnt like that plymouth bc she sometimes bullies her) is keeping her company.

Okay so I gave her an outside check and I cant find anything unusual. At first the part in between her legs and under her butt seemed bigger cause the other hen I felt didnt have that but I felt another hen and she has something similar. Plus plymouth is just a bigger hen. Shes hiding out in the coop because she doesnt like the rooster and my silkie is staying with her which is how I figured soemthing was wrong in the first place because my silkie (who doesnt like that plymouth bc she sometimes bullies her) is keeping her company.
Something bigger, as in a solid mass? Could be an egg?

I would get her into isolation if you can - on a soft towel, with paper towels over to catch the poos - makes it easier to see them and determine if anything's wrong. Was hard to see any fecals in your last pic due to the ground color. Urates looked ok though. - if they ever turn yellow, that's cause for worry.

The other reason for isolation is so you can keep an eye on how much food and water she's getting.

How was her condition at the keel? If you have another Plymouth to compare, that would be best as some breeds are more wiry than others. Also, her weight when being picked up... Is she noticeably lighter than you're used to? Chickens can drop weight quite quickly.

Back
Top Bottom