HELP!!! Hen is Limping and breathing with mouth open

If she seems terrified of the rooster, can you separate him for a few days? An enlarged lower belly between the legs can be fluid or internal laying, or just fat. Having a lot of white urates in the poop can sometimes be a sign of dehydration.

Something bigger, as in a solid mass? Could be an egg?

I would get her into isolation if you can - on a soft towel, with paper towels over to catch the poos - makes it easier to see them and determine if anything's wrong. Was hard to see any fecals in your last pic due to the ground color. Urates looked ok though. - if they ever turn yellow, that's cause for worry.

The other reason for isolation is so you can keep an eye on how much food and water she's getting.

How was her condition at the keel? If you have another Plymouth to compare, that would be best as some breeds are more wiry than others. Also, her weight when being picked up... Is she noticeably lighter than you're used to? Chickens can drop weight quite quickly.
I would say it was squishy. Isk how to explain how it felt I've never had to do this. From what I've seen she isnt drinking but she could be when I'm not there but she is eating so maybe shes drinking as well. Where is the keel again? And when I picked her up she felt the same weight. She wasnt light shes always been heavy. The other Plymouth is molting right now and is in very different condition because of the feather loss.

If she seems terrified of the rooster, can you separate him for a few days? An enlarged lower belly between the legs can be fluid or internal laying, or just fat. Having a lot of white urates in the poop can sometimes be a sign of dehydration.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get her to drink. The eye dropper method isnt working and dipping her beak into the water isnt working. And I tried putting the rooster into the cage but he saw it coming. The flock is going to bed rn so maybe tomrrow I'll try again.

I would say it was squishy. Isk how to explain how it felt I've never had to do this. From what I've seen she isnt drinking but she could be when I'm not there but she is eating so maybe shes drinking as well. Where is the keel again? And when I picked her up she felt the same weight. She wasnt light shes always been heavy. The other Plymouth is molting right now and is in very different condition because of the feather loss.
Keel is the bone between the breasts - the breast meat should have a good bit of muscle on it and the bone should not be sticking out. If all you can feel is bone, or the muscle seems smaller than it should be, this is a good indication that she's losing weight.

Keel is the bone between the breasts - the breast meat should have a good bit of muscle on it and the bone should not be sticking out. If all you can feel is bone, or the muscle seems smaller than it should be, this is a good indication that she's losing weight.
Is it near the crop? I feel like I felt it but I always can feel the bone on everyone but theres always some meat there. Is it a good idea to take her to the vet?

Update: her crop is I would say empty. Its soft and squishy. Everyone else is full. Her under butt is still big but the outside idk if shes losing weight or not. I still have to do an internal check but dont have everything for it.

All you need to check inside her vent for a stuck egg is a clean finger. Wash you r hands well after.
someone said latex glove and some other stuff to slide your hand in. I forgot lol. How should I hold her because it's gonna be me and someone else helping?

Back
Top Bottom