Help! Hen is suddenly making weird noises and "sneezing"

She was fine 30 minutes ago. Eating treats and running around. Now she is making almost a crying sound constantly.
Sounds like stridor which is when some food/water or mucous is in the airway. Usually this will resolve on its own over the course of a day.
Give her time to work it out and see if she improves.

Sounds like stridor which is when some food/water or mucous is in the airway. Usually this will resolve on its own over the course of a day.
Give her time to work it out and see if she improves.
Thank you! She is doing a little better now. I rubber her neck and got a couple little burps out and she's drinking and eating. She's staying off by herself, but up moving around still

I wasn’t aware of Stridor like I read in the comments here but my hen had this same honking sound although she didn’t seem to sneeze or have her beak open as much. I have a video I can upload (just registered with BYC today so still trying to figure the website out). We brought her inside for two nights and loaded her up with some VetRx. We mixed warm water into her feed with some drops of VetRx. Her “honking” was bad even while she slept but the next day it continued but sounded better so I decide to carefully massage her crop and gently hold her upside down and seeing if I could get anything to move or dislodge something that could be stuck. She got better after the next night and I let her go back to the flock. A week later.. her honking slightly came back so I again gave her some VetRx and all seems well so far. Keep up updated. Hope she gets well soon.

I wasn’t aware of Stridor like I read in the comments here but my hen had this same honking sound although she didn’t seem to sneeze or have her beak open as much. I have a video I can upload (just registered with BYC today so still trying to figure the website out). We brought her inside for two nights and loaded her up with some VetRx. We mixed warm water into her feed with some drops of VetRx. Her “honking” was bad even while she slept but the next day it continued but sounded better so I decide to carefully massage her crop and gently hold her upside down and seeing if I could get anything to move or dislodge something that could be stuck. She got better after the next night and I let her go back to the flock. A week later.. her honking slightly came back so I again gave her some VetRx and all seems well so far. Keep up updated. Hope she gets well soon.
Welcome To BYC
Your hen continues to have symptoms? If so, then you may be dealing with something else besides stridor.
You may want to start your own thread, listing symptoms along with your video, photos, etc. so you get answers about your situation.

Listing symptoms/info similar to the example in this thread can be quite helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first.3569/

Back
Top Bottom