HELP**Hen Laying Down and Acting Strangely

austintxchick

Chirping
5 Years
May 25, 2014
My 20 week old Ameraucana, is acting strangely. She's was eating and drinking but is laying down in the yard and her back end is going up and down. I don't know what hens are suppsoed to look like when they lay an egg but could that be what she's trying to do? She's been moving slowly all day. I checked her vent and it's slightly open. After checking it, she had white diarrhea, just a small amount. Should I be concerned or is this possibly her showing signs of laying an egg?

VIDEO

Update***

Day 2 and she's worse. She's not eating and isn't moving much. Tail still moving up and down and she seems more lethargic.

Last edited:
I should add that none of them have layed yet although I expect them to any day now.

Here's the video.

She looks like she might be trying to lay an egg. If she were mine I would watch her very closely and if she didn't produce an egg I would check for one.

Checking for an egg is easy... Put on glove, KY Jelly, *gently* insert finger and check for egg. If it's there it can usually be felt no more than an inch in. Be very gentle, sometimes they have soft ones, or ones still forming shells in the uterus. These pictures should help you visualize where an egg should be.

If you an find an egg, you could give her tums, human calcium or calcium gluconate at about 100mg per 2.2 pounds, fill your bath room with steam and put her in there.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Great info, thank you!

I've seen some videos on eggbound hens and giving them a warm sitz bath which I did. She seemed to perk up a bit after that. I'll go get some gloves and KY (can't wait to see the clerk's expression on that one) and see if I can feel an egg.

Great info, thank you!

I've seen some videos on eggbound hens and giving them a warm sitz bath which I did. She seemed to perk up a bit after that. I'll go get some gloves and KY (can't wait to see the clerk's expression on that one) and see if I can feel an egg.
My vet was the one that suggested putting them in a warm room filled with steam and I have found it to be far less stressful for them than the bath.

-Kathy

She's still acting like this today only she seems a bit worse. I'm not sure what else to do for her.

Sadly, she just died. :( RIP Talllulah. I really wish I could have helped her.

We got her in a box to go to the vet and by the time we got there she was dead. The other two show no signs of illness. My daughter is devastated. This was her favorite and more like a pet than a chicken. :(

Back
Top Bottom