HELP**Hen Laying Down and Acting Strangely

Sadly, she just died. :( RIP Talllulah. I really wish I could have helped her.

We got her in a box to go to the vet and by the time we got there she was dead. The other two show no signs of illness. My daughter is devastated. This was her favorite and more like a pet than a chicken. :(
Sorry for your loss... Did you check her for a stuck egg like I suggested in post #4?

-Kathy

Thanks, Kathy. Yes, I tried but wasn't able to feel anything. I didn't realize that egg binding could cause such a quick death, if indeed that's what it was. I wish I knew what it was.

Thanks, Kathy. Yes, I tried but wasn't able to feel anything. I didn't realize that egg binding could cause such a quick death, if indeed that's what it was. I wish I knew what it was.
A stuck egg is pretty hard to miss and usually isn't a problem as long as they can still poop.

-Kathy

Really sorry to hear she died.

If you really want to know what happened to her then do a post mortem. If she was egg bound, it should be pretty obvious and it will help you to recognise the symptoms if you have another hen in the same situation in the future. It's also really interesting if you can psych your self up to it.

Best wishes

Barbara

Really sorry to hear she died.

If you really want to know what happened to her then do a post mortem. If she was egg bound, it should be pretty obvious and it will help you to recognise the symptoms if you have another hen in the same situation in the future. It's also really interesting if you can psych your self up to it.

Best wishes

Barbara
X2. Many things would be obvious, but I understand why some people might not want to do it, especially with a child's pet.

-Kathy

I couldn't possibly do that. My daughter is already traumatized enough. She thinks it's her fault because she put her in the box to take her to the vet and she thinks it was because the box was too small. It wasn't. She's old enough to rationalize that wasn't the case but she's a sensitive soul and feels guilty for everything. We gave her a nice burial.

I know it's silly because we eat chicken (not the ones we raise) several times a week without giving it a second thought. But these gals have such personality and we've grown to love the little buggers. I swear, if I had to kill animals myself in order to eat them, I don't think I could do it. It makes me think more about becoming vegetarian.

Thanks for your kind words and advice.

I feel bad for your daughter... Car rides to the vet can be enough to send them over the edge, but when they're that close to death they will die if you do nothing, so it's darned if you do, darned if you don't. Again, sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
{{{{{hugs}}}}} to you and your daughter.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom