Help! hen losing feather's on her back......

Barnyard

Addicted to Quack
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Southwest Georgia
I have a NHR hen that has lost some feather's on her back right about her tail feather's. I haven't noticed any pecking going on in the pen. I have also trimmed my roo's spur's to make sure that is not what it is. I have checked for mites, clean there. They have all been wormed. The spot is not bleeding and is not raw, just bare. Any idea's what it is and what I should do. I am a very hands on person and I spend alote of time with my chickens and I can't seem to figure this one out.

Last edited:
Well not really. I have 6 hens in there with him and 3 of them are broody so, I guess it could just be that the 3 that are not broody is getting "over serviced". But she is the only 1 losing the feather's.

Even when I had 10 hens in with my roo, only one was his absolute favorite and continues to be. Some hens don't have any marks at all and some have some feathers missing, but she always has a bare spot on her back. Also, some hens will stand for the roo better than others.

Trust me, thats roo damage.

You could look into getting some chicken saddles to help ease the problem.

I don't think all her feathers will grow back until she moults.

This may sound silly, but when my girls seem to have a skin or feather problem I dust them with Golden Seal powder. It's natural and helps!
smile.png

Quote:
Well, my wife just volunteered to make you one. There is a pattern that chellester told me about that she is wanting to try for our bird. Chellester has made it for hers and says it is working. One time in an emergency (my roo was reintroduced and they pecked a hole in his back) I used duct tape and it saved his life, so I would say it is worth the bother to have a saddle that would look good and protect the hen as well. Just let me know if you would like DW (salamander here at BYC) to make you one because she is going to be building one for me too!

Back
Top Bottom