help hen not laying a egg

nicokl502

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
Kansas City Mo
so a few days ago my little 7 months old chickens got out and my dog went after her he pulled out some on the feathers out of her neck but other than that she was ok, i was able to put her back with her pal and she lay a egg that night but hasn't lay one in 3 days she does seem to have the egg stuck in her. i am not sure if its because of the dog getting to her had messed her insides up she seem ok and eats and drinks but doesn't act as brave as she was anyone have any idea what could be up with her??????

Mabye shes still recovering from what happend.I've only had chicks for a coupple of weeks so I'm not the expert.Hope that everything is ok .

Why do you think she has an egg stuck in her? Can you see it when you look at her vent?
Soak her bottom in a nice warm bath to relax her & her muscles for a while.
Put on a vinyl/rubber glove, lube it up with some KY or vaseline and try sticking your finger gently up her vent. Do you feel an egg? If so, try to lube it up as much as you can, and do her vent as well. Then put her in a quiet, dark place for a while & let her try to pass it.
After she passes the egg, leave her in a dark area for a few days to recover from her experience & heal up. The darkness will slow the egg production/formation. You should try to feed her some foods that are high in vitamins A, K & E , especially vit. A. She might get a nutrient deficiency caused by all of the stress, and vitamin A is one of the most important vitamins for a chickens overall health.
Some foods high in vit. A are: broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, mangoes & tomato juice. Spinach, peppers & alfalfa leaves for K, and sweet potatoes & broccoli for E, which helps boost the immune system.
Also cook her up a hard boiled egg for some extra protein.

I don't have any experience with this, but my friend who grew up raising chickens said his mom used to say that if a dog catches a chicken, the chicken won't lay an egg for a whole week just due to stress.

Hope she gets better!

celtic druid : i don't see a egg and her vent looks ok she hasn't lay a egg in 3 it the only thing i could think happen, i have had a chickens that had a egg stuck before and it looks nothing like her i just dont think she is laying any eggs
lanie8: maybe that what it stress from the dog she seems fin just no egg i guess it will be a wait and see thing

thanks so much for all your helo
smile.png

Give her some time to get over the trauma. Once her system recovers, she should return to laying.
Just give her lots of attention & TLC. She should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom