HELP!!!!!!! Hen Pecked Hen!

katschooks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 27, 2012
Devon, England
Right i have just been out to check my chooks, and today they have all been picking on one small hen, to the extent that she has bleeding quills on her tail! :-( they were all getting on really well, and now they are not! I have taken the injured hen out and put her in a dog crate in the garage with a blanket over for privacy, how long can i keep her there, and what do i do about the bleeding quills, they are only bleeding a little, but would not like to wake in the morning to find a blood bath in my garage! Any help is gratefully recieved as always! thanks Kat x

Right i have just been out to check my chooks, and today they have all been picking on one small hen, to the extent that she has bleeding quills on her tail! :-( they were all getting on really well, and now they are not! I have taken the injured hen out and put her in a dog crate in the garage with a blanket over for privacy, how long can i keep her there, and what do i do about the bleeding quills, they are only bleeding a little, but would not like to wake in the morning to find a blood bath in my garage! Any help is gratefully recieved as always! thanks Kat x

Grab the feather at the base and pull out to stop the bleeding.

I have a small infirmary for times like this. I use a dog crate with hay and a roost and just keep the hen in there. I keep them there until they recover, and if they are really hurt, I'll give them honey water along with their food. (not for long though). You can let the hen out to walk and peck, and when it's better, reintroduce it. Just remember, chickens will make a pecking order. Just make sure it doesn't get to serious. So, basically, it's fine to keep her there for a while. Hope this helps! :)

I have a small infirmary for times like this. I use a dog crate with hay and a roost and just keep the hen in there. I keep them there until they recover, and if they are really hurt, I'll give them honey water along with their food. (not for long though). You can let the hen out to walk and peck, and when it's better, reintroduce it. Just remember, chickens will make a pecking order. Just make sure it doesn't get to serious. So, basically, it's fine to keep her there for a while. Hope this helps! :)

I think honey acts as a laxative in chickens. Better to use a little sugar in the water instead of honey. I would increase her protein intake while she is healing to grow feathers faster. Give her scrambled or boiled eggs, mealworms, etc.

When our girls were a little younger we went through this. Here's what we did. Went to the feed store and got a product called Rooster Booster, it is stuff you put on the feathers around where the little one is getting pecked and we used regular triple antibotic ointment, apply with a Q-Tip, on the area that was actually bleeding. It was really funny when we had her fixed up and put her back in the run, we didn't remove her, the first one that pecked at her got a really funny look and tried to spit out the taste. They left her alone after that. Also, many times they'll peck at the little ones because they are bored or are lacking protien. Just gotta find them something to do and make sure they have enough protien. Hope that helps.

Once she has recovered put "no pick" solution on her and all of them (sometimes this is just the start of the picking). Next sprinkle some high quality cat food on the ground...I know this sounds crazy but it has extra salt and protein that "Pickers" sometimes crave.

Back
Top Bottom