Help! Hen sick and breathing hard

skizales

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 4, 2016
My 16 month old Light Braham is breathing very hard and is very lethargic. She is not eating or drinking. She did have one normal poo today. I am giving her watered down gatorade via eye dropper, but she won't take much. She is my dominant girl and best layer in my flock of 6 hens (4 are 16 months and 2 are 4 months). Any help is appreciated!!

0.jpg

The video won't load on my phone so I'm not sure how she looks exactly. Do you have a avian vet in your area? If my chickens had any breathing problem I would want a vet to put them on oxygen and try finding the problem. Is their anything else wrong you can see? Maybe open her beak to see if something is stuck in her throat?

Last edited:
Can you check inside her beak and throat for anything stuck, or for yellow patches or spots? Is she making any noise when she breathes? Where do you live? Is she dehydrated? Have you had any respiratory diseases or sneezing recently? Does she have watery eyes or nasal drainage? I would feel inside her vent 1-2 inches for a stuck egg. Sometimes it can be hard to tell what exactly is wrong.

I don't see anything in her mouth, she doesn't have a stuck egg that I can tell, she isn't sneezing or coughing. She's acting really sick though. We live in Sacramento. I have another hen showing mild labored breathing now but she isn't acting sick yet. Will call a vet first thing in the morning

I don't see anything in her mouth, she doesn't have a stuck egg that I can tell, she isn't sneezing or coughing. She's acting really sick though. We live in Sacramento. I have another hen showing mild labored breathing now but she isn't acting sick yet. Will call a vet first thing in the morning

Glad your calling a vet. Hopefully it isn't too serious. Could be a respiratory infection and she needs antibiotics. Will you be taking both to the vet, or just the sick one? I hope they both feel better soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom