HELP Hen started as lethagic and getting worse

Her crop feels squishy. Not flat.

She will not eat. I would have to force her.

I did give her some melted coconut oil via a syringe yesterday morning.

I think the crop issue is secondary.

I'm grasping at straws here.
I agree there is a good chance the crop is secondary. But if you can help that situation, you might have an easier time figuring out what’s going on. Not laying in months could be a clue. Is her abdomen bloated from fluid? I have a hen who drinks a bunch of water when she bloats up with fluid/ascites.

I agree there is a good chance the crop is secondary. But if you can help that situation, you might have an easier time figuring out what’s going on. Not laying in months could be a clue. Is her abdomen bloated from fluid? I have a hen who drinks a bunch of water when she bloats up with fluid/ascites.
She does not seem bloated. Would I know it for sure if I saw it or felt it? I have held her every day since this started and never noticed swelling. Of course I'm no chicken expert. She has definitely lost weight...either this week due to illness or recently. Her breast bone has become very obvious.

I started feeding her small amounts of yogurt via syringe to try to help with the crop and giving her small amounts of electrolytes via syringe.

As of this morning she seems to have perked up. She walked a couple steps to find a different spot in her kennel, drank a little water when I brought it to her and her tail is up about half the time when I check on her.

I am hoping she continues to improve but trying not to get my hopes (basically impossible). She is still sleeping a lot but not falling asleep in my arms today like she was the last two days.

If I can get her to a good place i will start working on the crop issue with something stronger than yogurt and possibly schedule a vet check up. I dont want to put her little body through too much at once.

I'm praying she keeps getting better.

Does anyone know if the penicillin could be making her feel bad? A friend who is a nurse says it does that to some people.

Last edited:
Any suggestions of what I can feed her that she might actually eat? She has barely eaten anything since Wednesday. I have tried plain greek yogurt, scrambled eggs and finely crushed meal worms. She acts very interested at first bite but as soon as she takes one piece she is no longer interested in it. I wonder if the sour crop is to blame. I wish I had something that would entice her to eat a little.

I also made a vet appointment for next Wednesday with an Avian vet to have her checked out. That was their first available appt but if she declines I can bring her in as an emergency visit at any time. I would like to know what the underlying cause is in case it is something I can prevent in the future with the entire flock.

Back
Top Bottom