Help, hen was stuck in the door all day UPDATE #53doing well

ams3651

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
NE PA
One of my youngsters was apparently stuck all day and I didnt notice till my son saw her. My coop has a garage door on one end, I keep it open a little for air flow and the 4 month olds have taken to roosting on top of the door. I guess she fell either last night or this morning just her head and one leg were sticking outside. If you understand, the door opens up and there is a gap where the door comes out and the rest of the door is outside. She seems kind of squished, narrow. One leg wont bend back under her very far but doesnt feel broken or dislocated, and she cant keep herself upright, she falls over when laying and cant stand. I offered her some fruit and she wouldnt take it, Im making some oatmeal right now. She is alert but quiet, I have her resting comfortably in a box, my son went to the neighbor to borrow a crate so my youngest son doesnt bother her. She seems like she may just be stiff and out of sorts. Any suggestions on what to do?

Last edited:
I would put her in a small cage in a quiet spot, I use a dog crate in the garage- with access to food and water. I'd also give her some aspirin, you can get it at most farm stores and there are several posts on here with the dosage info (search for aspirin). That can really help with the pain so you can see if something i broken, or just sore. If nothing is broken, they start to move around more once the pain is under control. Electrolytes in the water are also a good idea, poultry/livestock are not expensive at a farm store, or you can add pedialyte (sp?) to her water.

I've had a lot of luck with 'bird slings' for leg injuries, but as long as she's eating/drinking, I wouldn't do anything like that for 24-48 hours- first give her a chance to heal and see if she starts recovering on her own.

Good luck!
hugs.gif

she ate and drank and she is sitting quietly. My son just came back with the crate but it will need to be cleaned. I will do that tomorrow and put her in. Right now she is in a box in my bedroom. The dog seems excited to have one of "her" chickens in the house
tongue.png
\\

update
her "knee" is swolen and warm and she wont try to use it.

Last edited:
I would do what the OP's suggested...confine, keep her quiet, offer food and water, possibly add e'lytes. It sounds as if she let you check her leg - do you think it's broken?? If it's broken, it may have to be straightened and splinted. You may be ble to find suggestion about broken legs and splinting them....Sorry, don't have better ideas right now. Hope she gets better fast and it's just a sprain or bruising around the knee. Part of this may be stress/lack of food/water while she was stuck. If she is taken food you offered I would watch for a couple of days to see if she can walk OK

Last edited:
Aww, I'm sorry this happened to her. Things like that have happened to some of my hens and they've make remarkable recoveries all on their own. I sure hope this will happen with your bird too. The advice you've been getting is good:

Keep her separated so other birds won't take advantage of her impairment by pecking her, and they won't prevent her from getting food & water as much as she wants.

If she gets agitated in confinement make her cage darker.

Good nutrition is important for healing & rebuilding, maybe extra protein & calcium in the form of yogurt and eggs scrambled in the blender shell & all.

Maybe some vitamin & electrolyte powder in her water, or liquid baby vitamins (withOUT iron).

I think that doing this will provide optimal conditions for her to heal, the rest will be up to her. I don't know what to say about her swollen knee/hock joint, I have a pullet with the same issue after being stuck in a fence all day. She's walking well without hardly a limp, I'm hoping Ma Nature will get that swelling to go down in time.

threehorses seems to know poultry medicine, maybe you could PM her?

I had a weekold turkey poult once that got stuck between a haybale and the coop wall for 3 days. We couldn't find her for 3 days!!! Finally we tore the place apart and there she was, but not squished quite like yours was. Anyways, she was hungry/thirsty but recovered fine (no injuries) that we could tell.

Best!

she is alert, no making noise. Just a little cluck when i lift her. But her poop is very nasty smelling and nearly liquid and white. Maybe from the trauma. She still wont stand but you can tell she wants to get up. Doesnt seem "squished" anymore and looks like she is just sitting but still wont use that leg, Im just concerned if I splint it she wont be able to sit. She is in a dark quiet place, and eating ok. Im hoping its just a sprain because honestly I cant figure out how she would have broken it. Oy
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom