Help! Hen with broken wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChikeeMomma, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I have a year and a half old EE hen who has a broken wing. They have been in the coop and run for about a month and a half (tomatoes ripening in the garden) so I have no idea how this happened. I did let them out to free range for the first time in a long time, tonight. I noticed she was hobbling and one eye was partially closed. So I picked her up looked under her feet -- make sure there was no bumblefoot. Looked good. Then I lifted her wing on one side. That looked good. Then I lifted her other wing and she cried. I didn't have to lift it. It just dangle over. Now I want to take proper care of my chickens but I won't take her to a vet. If it is inexpensively possible for her to heal and live a comfy life I will do my best to do that. If not then I will cull her. I am not sure what all is going on with her, though. Definitely a broken wing, but she was limping/hobbling and her lower lid was covering most of her one eye. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!!!!

2. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    I too have a hen with a broken wing, it happened and started to heal w/ a crook in it. She still manages to fly up to the high roost bar. I feel so bad that I missed it when is first occured and now has healed odd. Good luck BUMP on the signs of illness??

3. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    No signs of illness. She was just fine earlier today. When I let them out tonight to free range, I noticed her limping. I am starting to wonder if I did it. When you walk into my coop, I have a storage area (the meaties occupy this space at the moment). You pass through the storage area to where the layers are. That door into the layers is spring loaded so I have to be careful not to get a chicken in there. The hens always rush at me when I open up the food bin. So now I am wondering if I got her and didn't know it. Otherwise, I have no idea how she got hurt so badly. Her eye is not swollen at all or tearing up. The lower eye lid is just closed half way. Now as I sit here typing and thinking about this. I think I did shut a chicken in the door today. I open the door and it ran back and I didn't think anything of it. Well, I did it, I bet, and feel really, really bad now.

4. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Not sure what you would do? Heal on its own?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by