HELP: Hen with pale comb/wattles acting unthrifty.

Here's the poo, it looks almost kind of greenish now? but there's still some "real" poo in it, but a very small amount.

The green is probably just from her not eating, it's the yellow urates that worry me. Like I said in a previous post, yellow in my flock has always been blackhead, but there could be other things that cause it. Can you put here on a white towel or something so that you can get a better look at all of her droppings?

And here's what I am seeing as far as her physical appearance. Her stance is healthy-looking and she's still got very good feather sheen. her comb may have reddened up a TINY bit but i have to recheck the last picture. she's still trying to escape every chance she gets. I can see where she poked around in her feed but her crop is empty. i couldn't see much of a difference in the water.

You're right, she doesn't look that sick. Are there any special treats that you could offer her? Mine really like scrambled eggs, even when they're sick.

I have found it very helpful to weigh mine. The red line on this chart shows the weight loss/gain before, during and after treatment.

So quick update.
She looks/acts fine still & her comb colored up too. She's still not really eating, has laid no eggs, poo is still yellow & more opaque, and also lost weight.
The rest of the flock is fine still.
I'm baffled and frustrated, she was going to be one of the hens included in next years project.

he.gif
hit.gif

You might want to put Nu Stock on her legs. Ne em Oil on wood surfaces. Her legs look a little raised and pale in one of the pictures. Might be simply leg mites. She might have an allergy to mites and lice and is having a hard time recovering. She does not look that sick, however, you have done great in catching her early. You might want to consider wood ash dust bathing to smother any residual critters. Repeat it in 7 days. Also might want to consider using Fermented Feed.

Thank you delisha. I will check her legs today for any mite spots. I was thinking yesterday of using the ashes for them since I have to clean the wood stove out today. What is Fermented Feed?(besides what it obviously sounds like, lol) and do most feed stores sell it?

I tried scrambled egg and she ate a tiny bit of it and then lost interest. I can see where she's been poking at the food but no real change in the amount.

Fermented Feed-

Take your laying crumbles (3 cups)and place them in a container(start out with a small batch for her, later you can feed all the birds after you discover all the good benefits)Add 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother to the top of the feed. Cover it all with warm water(3 cups) . Stir. It should have the consistency of oatmeal. In a half hour check it and add more warm water if necessary. Lightly cover with a dish towel or plasic cover. Let it ferment for 24 hours. I would feed it right away but it will become better and better with time. Add dry feed daily and warm water. Add a tablespoon of ACV/M every other day. It really helps all live stock, saves on feed costs, reduces rodent and outside bird attraction. (you don't have dry feed laying around).

Back
Top Bottom