Help! Hen won't eat, drink, and is lethargic

Nat-S

Chirping
Oct 21, 2012
Magnolia, TX
For several days one of my hens has been very inactive and won't eat or drink on her own. She is not gasping (like if she had a gape worm) and I wormed her yesterday. She will drink a little if I offer her water, and I have added "Sav-A-Chick Probiotics" to the water. Has anyone experience this with a chicken? I've been doing research and not having any luck pinpointing what the actual problem is.

How old is she?
If she is old enough to lay eggs, when was her last egg?
What does her poop look like?
When you say she is inactive, is she laying down, standing hunched up, etc.?
Any coughing, sneezing, wheezing, eye/nose discharge?
What is your weather like?
Was she vaccinated for any diseases?

How old is she?
If she is old enough to lay eggs, when was her last egg?
What does her poop look like?
When you say she is inactive, is she laying down, standing hunched up, etc.?
Any coughing, sneezing, wheezing, eye/nose discharge?
What is your weather like?
Was she vaccinated for any diseases?

Ginger is 2 years old.
I'm not sure when she laid an egg last because I have 23 chickens.
Now her poop is extremely watery.
She spends most of her time laying down. I have her in a cage in our house so I can keep an eye on her.
No coughing, sneezing, etc. However, she is keeping one eye closed much of the time.
We are in Texas and of course it is hot. We had a good amount of rain a couple of months ago, but it has been pretty dry lately.
To my knowledge, she has not been vaccinated unless it was done by the hatchery or feed store.

Ginger is 2 years old.
I'm not sure when she laid an egg last because I have 23 chickens.
Now her poop is extremely watery.
She spends most of her time laying down. I have her in a cage in our house so I can keep an eye on her.
No coughing, sneezing, etc. However, she is keeping one eye closed much of the time.
We are in Texas and of course it is hot. We had a good amount of rain a couple of months ago, but it has been pretty dry lately.
To my knowledge, she has not been vaccinated unless it was done by the hatchery or feed store.

You may want to take a fecal sample to the vet for a fecal float test to check for worms, bacterial or fungal infections.
Is her abdomen swollen, hard, soft? She could have an internal laying/reproductive issue like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer or tumors.

With the heat, it's possible she could have suffered heat stress, so pushing liquids is always a good idea. Offer extra protein with scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Pictures of poo and her are also welcome if you have them.

@Wyorp Rock has taken the words out of my keyboard.

I suspect laying issues. They are more common in certain breeds of prolific layers. Which breed is your girl?

Ginger is an Americana.

I admit I dismissed the possibility of her having a bound egg. Her symptoms are quite different than my girl that experienced the problem last year.

It's worth looking into, since I know medication effect individuals differently maybe it's true for symptoms being presented as well.

Sorry I can't be more help. If you don't mind updating on her condition as you learn what it may be, it's a good learning experience for me.

Best wishes for a positive outcome!

Back
Top Bottom