1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help! hens kicking straw out of nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by granmahen, Feb 22, 2009.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    What is going on? Hens kicking straw out of nest box. Pulled everything out, washed it, put in new pine shavings and straw and still out everything is by morning. Don't think there is only one culprit. I put a layer of rubber on nest floor cause without any straw, etc. eggs were cracking upon arrival. But why in the world are they scratching out everything? We've 5 hens and two nest boxes, one they all lay in and ignore the other completely, except to kick straw out of that one too. One hen is a brand new layer, do you think they're mad at her. Also, after consistant laying all winter my 4 layers (still less than a year old) are sooooo sporatic. Are they getting their feathers in a fluff cause of the newbie?[​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I watch mine do this... they get to picking through it looking for little morsels... and then there's the hens that can;t get comfy..rearranging everything they can reach... and before you know it.... no straw left in the boxes [​IMG]

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    you might want to try to add another nest may help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by