HELP! Hens killing roosters (Gory pic warning)

I built a 2 layer hutch that is wood with hardware cloth for floor and ventilation. Each layer is 4’ x 2.5’, divided into 1 side fully enclosed with wood and the other has the hardware cloth ‘windows’.

I do still have the 2 layer hatching time cage. I don’t love it, neither do the quail. But I do use it still. The one layer in which the 3 stalls are connected is my grow out pen, and the other layer with 3 separate tiny pens. I use those as a recovery place for injuries, death row housing for those I need to separate but don’t immediately have the time to process. I also have 2 smaller and 1 very large modified storage bin enclosures that I use as brooders, but also to separate males who aren’t living peacefully with the others.

I don’t have any good hiding spots, I think that may a much bigger problem that I previously thought it was. I’ve been meaning to look into synthetic vines that are safe for them (sturdy, nontoxic, etc) to create hiding spaces. As soon as I’m done writing this, I’m going to take some grape vine trimmings to create some I have enough of that available to change out as they wilt until I can get a more long term hiding place solution in order.
When raising them in small cages, you have to pay more attention to ratios, where as with a large ground aviary, it's still critical but there is a little more leeway in the numbers you can safely keep in a larger aviary, ie; usually more hiding places, better landscaping, etc....here again, no fast and hard rules apply. With gamebirds, the saying "bigger is better" is a 'true' statement. The bigger the enclosure the better.

Can you take a couple of pictures of your cages??

You may get an idea or two a here:
So the grape vines are great for 10 minutes before they eat them, but I’ve ordered some fake aquarium plants that they can’t eat which I will staple over the divider between the rooms so it will provide cover in each area.

I rigged a couple hiding spots out of random things I had on hand. The first picture is a tiny hay trough I repurposed for this and has holes on the rear of each side so they can escape out the back. They prefer sitting on top of it though. I duct taped a guinea pig hide-out loft to the ceiling… if they take to it, I can make something similar for them. I was trying to think of think of hiding places that wouldn’t take up any ground space because it’s already pretty tight.

I wish I watched your video first. Cutting up old planters would have been much easier. I have a lot to learn still, and I’m thankful for all the help and ideas I get here. Thank you. 1B47FA4C-8E31-4C51-804D-87694B59CD8A.jpeg D3A5483D-E656-47E8-90B9-09F8E6C6D434.jpeg A4A7FAC7-42EA-4C7C-A826-EDDFD4277967.jpeg 8B7E2BC5-D37D-4D99-8654-7A9B6BA743B1.jpeg

When raising them in small cages, you have to pay more attention to ratios, where as with a large ground aviary, it's still critical but there is a little more leeway in the numbers you can safely keep in a larger aviary, ie; usually more hiding places, better landscaping, etc....here again, no fast and hard rules apply. With gamebirds, the saying "bigger is better" is a 'true' statement. The bigger the enclosure the better.
I’m limited on space, so I’m really just trying to make something work with what I have available. The 9 quail (8 hens, 1 roo) remaining seem to be getting along just fine, so I’m just going to let them stay as is. I’d prefer a decrease in the eggs’ fertility rate over havoc and finding them dead/injured. :(

Old plastic flower pots set upside down, with a hole cut on two opposite sides, or short segments of 3 inch PVC pipe, especially with a T joint, are all good. Something they can run through. I also have some small gnarly branches that they like to snuggle around, but that also sort of breaks up the line of site.

Do they have a place where they can rest their feet from the wire?
I take them out and for a dust bath in a hooded litter box for about 45 minutes 3x’s a week, but other than that they are on the wire floor.

I’ve tried putting in a shallow bin with pine shaving but the scratch it all out almost instantly. If you have any suggestions, I’ll try them.

They need some rest from the wire. If they don't have a place to get off of the wire, you're far more likely to get foot problems.

I have heard that people have good luck with artificial turf. I can be hosed off easily. I don't know because I keep mine on the ground.

I take them out and for a dust bath in a hooded litter box for about 45 minutes 3x’s a week, but other than that they are on the wire floor.

I’ve tried putting in a shallow bin with pine shaving but the scratch it all out almost instantly. If you have any suggestions, I’ll try them.
Rubber mat with some flake shavings on top to help absorb poop.

Back
Top Bottom