HELP !! Hens roosting in the trees

chickencrazymom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
Parsonsfield,ME.
I have 5 hens that are giving me problems ! They have decided that it is more fun to roost in the trees on the side of our driveway than their home. My question is.... how do I catch them to put them in "lock down" for a few days ? They are too high to reach, and are very elusive during the day ? I don't want to loose them to night preditors ! Any ideas ?? I would greatly appreciate any help that you guys might offer !!
thumbsup.gif

What breed of chicken do you have? How old are they?

I would say that you need to lock them in their run for a week before allowing them to free range. That way they will learn that the coop is their "home" and they are to return to it every day.

Where is their food supply? If it's not already in their pen, put it there. I can coax mine in with sweet cob or scratch if plans change and I have to leave for an extended amount of time during the day--I become the Pied Piper of chickens as soon as they see that old red coffee can...
lol.png

I have noticed that they are very easy to pick up when its dark and they are sleeping..

Can you put a ladder up near the tree and then collect them at night after they drift off to sleep?
Then I would definitely keep them up for a week or so before letting them free range again.

Good Luck!

try a push broom....

take the broom under their breast and give a slight nudge enough for then to loose footing and grab onto the broom to roost then lower them till you can grab them...this works when my roo roosts in the trees

just to clarify the push broom has a wide head on it like a janitors broom

after re reading this it sounds worse then what it is you are not pushing them off the tree limb ... they will flap like crazy and grab a hold of what ever they can

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
They are white leghorn and a black astralope. They are 16 wks. old. We have a lg chicken tractor on our front lawn that is their home, it has their food in it also. As soon as I can catch them, they will be locked up for a while. I need to make room for them in the coop so that they can get used to it, hopefully they will learn quickly ! Thank you for your help !

Quote:
Good idea, I think that this might work !! I can't climb it, or put a ladder up to it because it is just a small tree , skinny and tall, but these chickens love it !! Thank you for the idea !! I knew that there was a way to get them that didn't involve broken bones !!

we had this problem with two of our chickens... they were very high up in the tree and we solved it by watching how the got up there and puttig a piece of fencing in front of where they flew , they no longer could get up to the branch so just gave up!

Quote:
My problem is that the roost isn't far enough off the ground in the chicken tractor, and they feel safer in the tree. I'm going to wait until Fri. night , when my husband can help me, and catch them, and put them in the big coop locked up for a while. I know that they won't like this because they are used to being free range during the day. I'm just not sure how I will let my rooster out without letting them out also.... Need to think on this one.
hmm.png

We have this problem with each new generation of chicks to hens. We use a spray bottle,(I wish I had a super soaker sometimes), and as soon as they start hopping up in the trees...Squirt, Squirt, Squirt! Then we scoop them up with a large fishing net and carry them to the hen house. Some learn faster than others.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom