Help, Hens sides torn open by Roo

Thank you all for your advice.
The hen is doing well. She seems perky & her wounds are looking remarkably better already.
I did not go to injectable antibiotics.
Instead I put a bobbie sock over her head & she laied calmly on my lap while I gave the wound a good cleaning, clipped off messy feathers, scrubbed with betadine & applied alot of neosporin. I put a couple stitches in just to hold the flaps of skin together & it looks very professional if I do say so myself!
I also added some soluable vitamins to her water & am feeding her a mix of regular food with some egg & other goodies. So far so good!
As for the offfending roo; he has been removed from the flock. Now that I've had a chance to calm down I think I try to remove his spurs before taking any more drastic measures. Hopefully, I won't have any more problems. He's on super double probation!
Thanks again, I would not have had the confidence to take these steps without your advice!
I'll keep you updated on our progress!

Last edited:
clap.gif
Nice job.

Imp

It's not really the roos' fault and the next roo will just as likely do the same thing. And the spurs may not have had anything to do with it. I've had young roos, with no spurs tear a hen open. In fact, it's the young ones that tend to do this, with their "inexperience" and zeal. The older roos, the ones with the nice long spurs, have learned to be more gentle and take their time.

It's just the way it is - the roo has to stand on her back and hang on with his claws. The hens very often can get torn open especially after they've gotten all bare backed from too much rooing. They make "chicken saddles" - a type of cloth apron that goes over the hen's back, to help protect her. If you do a search you'll find several people on here who make and sell them. I bought a bunch for my hens when the roos were all young and were doing so much damage. They work great but I would advise getting them before the hen loses all her back feathers. I found that the feathers have a hard time growing back if they are wearing the saddles - so put them on before they lose their feathers.

Ruth:
I think you are right about my young roo. He's actually very nice...perhaps a bit overzealous though! So my hen saddles are on their way to the farm! Meantime I'll let my injured hen's sides heal & regrow feathers. She's doing great by the way!
Thanks for all of the advice!

Last winter I had the same thing happen but to four of my hens. I was just sure they would die, but they didn't. I kept them clean, just used some neosporin,{I kept my vicks close if the others started to pick} and away from the Roo. The big thing is not to let him back by her. I finally got rid of my Roo, and in time all the wounds healed on their own. Nature can do alot by itself. It may look bad now, but in time the wounds will heal. Hope this helps!

hi,
i would highly recommend putting a chicken "saddle" on her once she's back in the flock with roosters. we've had
a couple of situations like yours and, thankfully, both hens recovered. my vet thought the saddles were kind of genius!
we put them on the hens when they're moulting to prevent mating injuries.

i order them from a marion loprinzi (http://mbldesigns.com/), but you could make them yourself if you're handy
with a sewing machine.

best,
lynn

Back
Top Bottom