1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!! How do I care for a new duckling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PerpetualLearner, Apr 1, 2012.

1. PerpetualLearner

PerpetualLearner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    We have a couple of ducks and chickens who keep switching nests. Now one of the chickens hatched a duck egg and noone is caring for the baby. My brother brought it in the house but I don't know how to care for it. I have taken a paper bowl cut out the bottom added a wash cloth put it on a heating pad and a light over in an attemp to warm the chick. He(?) seems to be fluffing out and he's a fighter so ....
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

2. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Keep the duckling in a box or a plastic tub or something of that nature, with a heat lamp clamped to the side. Make sure one part of the tub/box is out of the way of the heat lamp so he can run over there if he gets too warm. If you don't have a heat lamp just yet, a heating pad will do, no higher than medium, and make sure there is still a place for him to be if the heating pad gets too warm. Make sure, if you are using a heating pad, that it's not in direct contact with the duckling. Put a towel over top of it, at least. You can use a thermometer to measure temp... 90-95 or so right now. As long as he can get away from the heat it should be okay. You can feed him chick starter or duck/goose starter, and make sure he has access to a shallow dish of water. You can dip his beak in gently to introduce him to water.

3. PerpetualLearner

PerpetualLearner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    Thank you for the help. Is this true of an hoours old duckling? and what/how do Ifeed it?

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Good luck. I hope you can get a friend for it. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by