HELP!!! How do I care for a new duckling?

PerpetualLearner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
We have a couple of ducks and chickens who keep switching nests. Now one of the chickens hatched a duck egg and noone is caring for the baby. My brother brought it in the house but I don't know how to care for it. I have taken a paper bowl cut out the bottom added a wash cloth put it on a heating pad and a light over in an attemp to warm the chick. He(?) seems to be fluffing out and he's a fighter so ....
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Keep the duckling in a box or a plastic tub or something of that nature, with a heat lamp clamped to the side. Make sure one part of the tub/box is out of the way of the heat lamp so he can run over there if he gets too warm. If you don't have a heat lamp just yet, a heating pad will do, no higher than medium, and make sure there is still a place for him to be if the heating pad gets too warm. Make sure, if you are using a heating pad, that it's not in direct contact with the duckling. Put a towel over top of it, at least. You can use a thermometer to measure temp... 90-95 or so right now. As long as he can get away from the heat it should be okay. You can feed him chick starter or duck/goose starter, and make sure he has access to a shallow dish of water. You can dip his beak in gently to introduce him to water.

Back
Top Bottom