Help!! how do I do an olive oil enema?

Yes it's just Docusate Sodium.. She's pretty squishy in her crop. I'll definitly up the water intake and I'll hold off on the colace for a bit.

Once properly hydrated they will usually start pooping in a few hours, which might explain why you're starting to see solid matter in her droppings. As long as her crop keeps clearing a little, you can keep giving fluids.

-Kathy

Since you have tubed people before, you might find it easier to tube than syringe. Take me less than one minute to tube 90-120 ml to a large bird. Not saying you should tube that much, just trying to express how much easier it is to tube a large volume.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Thank you! I'm a little intimidated by tubing my chicken.. :/ People don't fight me when I'm placing a tube down their throat.. :) She pooped again, still black and tarry. Smells kind of strange. Not really like blood? I don't know what to say.. This is the strangest thing I've dealt with yet. She ate a good amount of yogurt, which was encouraging. At least she wants to eat!

I have a chicken who had an impacted crop yesterday, she's been pooping out grassy, stringy poop, and is now not pooping and constipated. How to I perorm an olive oil enema?

This is a new one on me. I've never heard of such a thing.

I will say this though. Lots of folks poo poo supplying extra grit thinking they'll find it themselves. Well lots of breeds no longer forage for themselves. Some are better than others. Chickens have been domesticated and depend on people to supply their needs. Insoluble grit is one. The price of a 50# bag is much cheaper than a chicken bound up because folks don't want to spend the money. I say dump some insoluble grit and let the birds decide. I usually mix grit into the greens I give them. Plus the grit is good in your compost. It passes through the birds system and comes out the other end. FYI sand is NOT good grit.

Every necropsied or processed bird I have seen has had plenty of grit in it's crop.
big_smile.png
But hey, no harm in adding a little if you think they might not be getting enough, though I would *not* suggest giving any to this sick bird.

-Kathy

I think we've bumped heads on this before. I didn't say it's the only reason a bird can have problems. I have however read plenty on folks who think birds can get enough on their own and I disagree. That is my right is it not?

I did not suggest giving it to a sick bird. Though I think it may be why a bird might get sick. Especially if the crop is jam packed full of undigested greens and sludge.

Of course if you are doing lots of necropsies on your birds because you need to then I can understand why you'd disagree. I'm more into preventing illness then trying to cure it. More into educating folks in how to keep their birds healthy. My comment was in that vein.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Just saying that I have never seen a bird with health problems due to insufficient grit. Not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't seen any. :D

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom