Help, How do I get rid of dead rat smell in house?

bantymum

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
4 hours from Sydney Australia
Hello sweet friends,
Im back from my holiday and im going through all the posts however i have a huge problem:
Whenever i go away, my cat brings me in a dead rat.
Always, no fail i come home to a dead rat.
Now usually i have a friend who comes inside to feed him but this time I had the house locked up and she fed him outside and he came in through cat door to sleep etc.
Well this rat has been in my room all week and we are in the middle of summer here.
I cant get rid of the smell from the carpet, we cant sleep in there. I am sleeping in the loungeroom on a mattress on floor tonite.
Has anyone got any hints pleeeeese????
It smells exactly the same as a human ( yes ive smelt that too) when the body has been there for a while. My beloved father in law died a week before we found him.
Are there any cleaners here who know how to get rid of THAT smell???
This is NOT good aromatherapy and we cannot breathe properly as we are all holding our breaths!!!

I have no idea on the smell other than tons of baking soda but just wanted to say we missed you , glad your holiday was nice and welcome back!!!
smile.png

Hi Darlene, Thankyou, Yes ill have a look for that,
I did put a solution of clothes washing powder and water and scrubbed the area, yuk! then I put some ~ (dont laugh!!!) mouth rinse on it to try and kill the smell, then lit some incense. The smell seemed to disipate but then again, maybe my nose was just getting used to it! Now the smell is back with a vengeance.
Ill get some carpet cleaning people in asap, public holiday weekend here cause it is Australia Day !!

Hey bantymum, I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Can you open your windows? Do that if you can to air the place out and do like Darlene said use baking soda liberally in your home, let it sit for awhile and then vacume it up. I hope it helps. Welcome back.... . Laura

Yes Thankyou for that and yes Im sooo glad to be back!!
I have every window open and ill put the baking soda through it tonite.
I cant believe this smell is coming from only 1 rat, im going to check for more victims!!!
Usually when i go away once a year, a friend will come into the house and throw any victims outside, so this is where it went pearshaped.
Next tome ill close the bedorrom door and have someone enter the house!!

, public holiday weekend here cause it is Australia Day !!

Funny how that coincides with BackYardChicken Weekend!!!! LOL!! Hope you get the smell out, when I was a teenager we had a rat die in the walls of the house, unfortunatley I will NEVER forget that putrid smell, I could gag thinking about it, weeks and weeks it was horrible. We couldn't get to it to use any smell remover so we suffered through it, really bad, at least you could remove the culprit in your case. Anyway, hope it smells like coffee and bacon at your house soon and you have a great Happy Australia/BackYardChickens Weekend!!!​

I was going to suggest Baking soda on the spot. If that doesn't help try white vinegar. But I see both of those are already suggested.

Depending on what you have in that room the scent has permiated the fabric and will linger. Wash whatever you can wash and hang it out in the sun to dry.

For the things you can't wash do you have any of the odor absorbing household products like Febreze ? The extra strength formulas really do good job of killing odors in fabrics that cannot be laundered.

Thankyou, I cant use febreeze anymore as my partner used it in his late dad's apartment and it takes him back to the tragedy.
This is also the problem here, it is reminding him of when he found his dad.
We had just separated so we had other things on our minds and didnt call anyone and no one called us so we could sort ourselves out!!!

vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif
vomit-smiley-019.gif

I was thinking burn the house down, if it was me the rat would have puke on it, from me when I attempted to pick it up.
vomit-smiley-020.gif
Actually I would have stayed outside gaging while the Wife or Kid had to go get rid of it. Then we would deal with the smell, I would stay outside and they would fix the smell.

This should be a lesson, remember those sweet little field mice that you allowed to go free?? That rat was a sweet little cute(was gonnna say cudly, but changed my mind) RAT that the Lady 20 miles away decided to let live, so she took it on a little trip to your neighbourhood.

Lesson Learned: Kill all the varmits if you get a chance, or someone may drop one at your door which the cat will bring in while you are away.
ep.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom