Rats & Mice, How do i get rid of them

I always have a snap trap rigged at the base of the coop, even if I don't see a rodent problem. It's under a board and behind a bunch of bricks so the chickens can't touch it. I check it regularly and every once in a while, a rat will just stumble into it while walking around the base of the coop. Because I don't bait it and I don't touch it, it doesn't smell like human, so they don't avoid it.

As far as food, I only put food outside in the morning. There's food in the coop for the rest of the day, but I always remove the feeder at night. Food is the top attractant, so if you cannot remove it, even if you kill the mice and rats in the area you will eventually attract more.

We also have a type of rat "poison" that's supposed to only work on rats and mice, but from what I've seen, the rats are too smart to eat it, so while the idea is good, if they won't eat it then it doesn't help.
Do you know the name of the rat poison? I'll check it out tbh

Hello People, We have a rat / mice problem because most of them are eating our chicken feed and our pita breads which I've dried them for the ducks. and We have a room in our coop which We keep 2 hens that incubate the eggs One is currently sitting on the eggs for 2 weeks now and the other has not and Most of the eggs are just randomly at different places in her coop. I fear that she might've gotten scared of a mice while incubating and Yesterday When I went to the coop, I've seen that one of the egg was eaten in the coop by a rat probably?? I'm pretty much pissed at this and I do not want to poison and put food inside the room because If rats/mice ate the food and then went to drink water or eat more food of the hens in their coops, The food/water for hens might get poisoned too. I need to get rid of these annoying rodents please
Another type of trap that wouldn't hurt your chickens is a bucket trap. You use a bucket and a pvc pipe and peanut butter. Some people fill bucket with water so the rodent drowns. The rodent climbs up a ramp to get the peanutbutter and falls into the bucket. Easy to make and very effective. Here is a video to see how it is done.

Another type of trap that wouldn't hurt your chickens is a bucket trap. You use a bucket and a pvc pipe and peanut butter. Some people fill bucket with water so the rodent drowns. The rodent climbs up a ramp to get the peanutbutter and falls into the bucket. Easy to make and very effective. Here is a video to see how it is done.

We've made one of these...it does work. Instead of a pvc pipe, we used an empty soda bottle.

Back
Top Bottom