HELP! How do I safely fatten up a skinny doe?

I forgot about BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) Mine love them and it helps add weight to them also and makes the coat shiney. I dont have high regards for herbal wormers unless thats what you have used and have a closed herd. I have seen more goats die from them than help. Some have good luck with them and most dont. I use Ivermectin plus injectable and paste also. I give the injectable SQ and its basically 1cc per 100 lbs goat is what I do and with the paste I dial it to the weight for my goat. You can give the inj type orally with a syringe (w/o) needle. I have given the cattle wormer also orally too and its 1cc per 10 lbs goat.
The BOSS i would give slowly also and build up on it. Too much of a good thing can upset the tummy. If she will eat it soaked thats great and beet pulp and alf pellets are better as there isnt as much waste. Wel not around here as my girls would eat what they wanted from the hay and leave the rest for me to clean up so thats why I use the pelled type now and grass hay, much cheaper on the pocket. Make sure her cd?t shots are given and a Bo-se shot also. Did you weight her? I would go get my bathroom scale and either hold her or place her feet on it and see what she does weight and do this each week to see how much she is gaining. If she is smalle weight yourself and then hold her and weight again. this helps alot as sometimes we think they weight this and really they dont. Good luck

We use injectible Ivermectin as well (given orally). It is safe for pregnant animals. When you give it orally, you use more; 1cc/ml per 50 #'s body weight is the ratio we use.

Feel free to hijack, you might ask questions I did not think to ask. I am very confused with all the conflicting information about wormers.

Those with worming opinions, please elaborate! I need to decide quickly, as the Molly's Herbal wormer person is going on vacation soon so if I go that route I need to order soon.

Safe for a fragile goat who is also pregnant......opinions? Details?

Oh, and also opinions on vaccinations in this case....I would tend to wait on that. But want to hear what you have to say on this, too.

Last edited:
I would wait on the Vaccines, but thats just me. Vaccinate after she delivers.
She will need a BoSe shot 30 to 15 days before she delivers. If you know the due date.
You are doing a wonderful job!!!

Picture of Chloe 3 months after we started her rehab. Still thin, but thats a Kiko for ya. We just found her a new home where she will be "Top Goat"
smile.png

new003.jpg

Last edited:
No clue on the due date, unfortunately. Running loose with a buck for who knows how long.

As of a few minutes ago, this is her sixth full day with us, and she is already getting the round tummy typical of a goat, and is getting pushier with the other two. Still not as greedy as I'd like to see, far from it, but it is probably like someone used to ramen noodles and Wonder bread suddenly faced with Whole Foods Market.....not used to eating good foods and a bit picky. But she will actually eat fresh fruit and veggies, I'm just being cautious with the amounts offered.

Can't seem to get her to finish much more than a pound of grain....does anyone know if this is typical? I was hoping to have her at two pounds by now. I am reducing the beet pulp since she is eating my hay now and has lots of alfalfa pellets free-choice. She is eating about a pound, maybe a bit more, of the alfalfa pellets a day.

The chickens love the dropped soaked beet pulp shreds! Mya does NOT like chickens on her back, unlike the Princesses Chunk (fat pygmies) who love a good scratch from the chickies. Mya has no padding, however, and not enough winter coat.

If I want quick weight gain, or energy for one of my goats , usually if they are sick or off their feed, I give them some magic syrup, 1 part corn oil ,1 part corn syrup, 2 parts molasses mix well and give them 3oz twice a day for three days once a day for the rest of the week.

I posted on your grunting goat thread about a licorice treat that helps in getting them to eat better, if you want I can cut and paste it here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom