Help!! How do you breed Mauve Orpingtons!?

Rooster Hen
Chocolate x chocolate = chocolate (obviously!)
Chocolate x black = chocolate pullets, black cockerels split to chocolate
Split x black = split cockerels, black cockerels and pullets, chocolate pullets
Split x chocolate = split & chocolate cockerels, black pullets, chocolate pullets
Black x Chocolate = all black offspring (cockerels will be split to chocolate)

Chocolate x splash = mauve pullets, blue cockerels
Splash x chocolate = mauve and blue pullets and cockerels
Chocolate x blue = mauve, chocolate and blue pullets and cockerels
Blue x chocolate = mauve, chocolate and blue pullets and cockerels

Mauve is chocolate and blue so breeding two mauve will produce all offspring with chocolate because of the chocolate part.
The blue part bred together will produce blue black and splash.
So you'll get mauve, chocolate and chocolate splash.

Just wondering how they get their color name? That bird pictured above looks chocolate or maybe it's called chocolate splash too me. I had mauve color in my house years ago. It's a form of pink not chocolate.

I believe they are blue and chocolate. Chocolate is sex linked recessive, so I would breed a chocolate cockerel over blue hens, then take any resultant mauve pullets back to chocolate to produce mauve cockerels.

Blue is incomplete dominant, so mauve x mauve would produce both chocolate and splash/choc (don't know what to call that) offspring as well.

ETA: a good laced blue such as the mauve hen shows, requires additional melanisers and lacing genes to achieve. These are likely only on the blue line, so will need to be bred for. Mauve cockerel offspring from BC1 could then be bred over blue hens again to get those genes back in.
If chocolate is sexlnked that would mean they would be female correct?
How do you get a Chocolate Rooster to breed the mauve hen back to?

You can't use lavender.
Mauve is blue and chocolate. Blue doesn't breed true exactly because of the whole blue, black splash thing. Chocolate breeds true and is sex linked.
To produce 100% mauve chicks you have to breed a splash and chocolate bird to chocolate.
There's other combinations that will produce some mauve chicks but not 100%.
Mauve Xs mauve produces mauve, chocolate and splash chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom