Help. How long after 21 days will eggs hatch? Hen on nest eggs starting mar 3rd

Mgoff7

Hatching
Apr 2, 2020
Hi everyone! I am a first timer of having chickens. In Baton Rouge, la.
We have Five female chickens from a group of 25 chicks born June 2019 two bantam hens and two polish laced (1 bw 1 golden) and 1 appenzeller spitzenhauben. Some died from sick. Quite a few got eaten by a hawk and We only kept one bantam rooster and one regular size rooster. He was full size black Sumatra. The hens all started laying January. We had a failed attempt at incubating (power outage for a day) I disposed of the eggs and they were fully formed chicks so daughter blames me that I killed them. i assumed they wouldn’t survive because day 24 still hadn’t hatched.

our last bantam rooster got eaten by a hawk trying to save his ladies (came home to it in action and daughter had to see it poor thing. He was her pet).
We recently decided to keep some eggs in nest to let them hatch by hen.

the first group we kept was March 3-8. We ended up having to get rid of our rooster so I kept a backup group mar 21-23.

The first group none of the hens would sit on the eggs. Then about five days in the Spitz decided she would sit in the nest. She has been sitting there since with the occasional scuffle from our bantams wanting to have a turn. She eventually kicks them back out.
we weren’t sure if the bantam would be fertilized from the full size rooster.
My daughter accidentally dropped one of the bantam eggs marked March 21 on March 28 and there was partially form chick in it.
i keep reading online that they should be hatched by day 21 and not to let old eggs stay in nest. So today I went out to see if hatching and decided to pick one of the thee eggs marked March 3. My husband cracked the shell and there was something in there but no movement. I thought it must have been dead and wanted to investigate to see if the chick actually formed. So I got a stick and poked to get the shell. When I did that it poke through the sack and blood came out and the sack started moving around. ( I was devastated and cried knowing I prob just killed the chick. And I’m still traumatized). So my question is, was that egg going to hatch despite being 30 days old? Also how long do I keep waiting for the rest to hatch?

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am a first timer of having chickens. In Baton Rouge, la.
We have Five female chickens from a group of 25 chicks born June 2019 two bantam hens and two polish laced (1 bw 1 golden) and 1 appenzeller spitzenhauben. Some died from sick. Quite a few got eaten by a hawk and We only kept one bantam rooster and one regular size rooster. He was full size black Sumatra. The hens all started laying January. We had a failed attempt at incubating (power outage for a day) I disposed of the eggs and they were fully formed chicks so daughter blames me that I killed them. i assumed they wouldn’t survive because day 24 still hadn’t hatched.

our last bantam rooster got eaten by a hawk trying to save his ladies (came home to it in action and daughter had to see it poor thing. He was her pet).
We recently decided to keep some eggs in nest to let them hatch by hen.

the first group we kept was March 3-8. We ended up having to get rid of our rooster so I kept a backup group mar 21-23.

The first group none of the hens would sit on the eggs. Then about five days in the Spitz decided she would sit in the nest. She has been sitting there since with the occasional scuffle from our bantams wanting to have a turn. She eventually kicks them back out.
we weren’t sure if the bantam would be fertilized from the full size rooster.
My daughter accidentally dropped one of the bantam eggs marked March 21 on March 28 and there was partially form chick in it.
i keep reading online that they should be hatched by day 21 and not to let old eggs stay in nest. So today I went out to see if hatching and decided to pick one of the thee eggs marked March 3. My husband cracked the shell and there was something in there but no movement. I thought it must have been dead and wanted to investigate to see if the chick actually formed. So I got a stick and poked to get the shell. When I did that it poke through the sack and blood came out and the sack started moving around. ( I was devastated and cried knowing I prob just killed the chick. And I’m still traumatized). So my question is, was that egg going to hatch despite being 30 days old? Also how long do I keep waiting for the rest to hatch?
So sorry for all you have been thru. I am afraid I don't have any answers for you, others may.
:frow However, Welcome from New Orleans. Glad to hear you can keep a rooster. I would find an adult or older cockerel to add to my flock. Some one large and aggressive when it comes to protecting his hens, but respectful to humans. then you will have hatching eggs again!!!
I would rather use a broody hen to hatch than a bator, just build a broody box, before you have a broody hen. Then one night after she is asleep put the eggs you want to hatch and the broody hen in the broody box. Water, feed, clean poop and in about 3 weeks you should have chicks. Some may hatch in less than 21 days, some may take a little longer. Good luck, and hopefully someone will have the answer to your origional question. You have come to the right place

So sorry for all you have been thru. I am afraid I don't have any answers for you, others may.
:frow However, Welcome from New Orleans. Glad to hear you can keep a rooster. I would find an adult or older cockerel to add to my flock. Some one large and aggressive when it comes to protecting his hens, but respectful to humans. then you will have hatching eggs again!!!
I would rather use a broody hen to hatch than a bator, just build a broody box, before you have a broody hen. Then one night after she is asleep put the eggs you want to hatch and the broody hen in the broody box. Water, feed, clean poop and in about 3 weeks you should have chicks. Some may hatch in less than 21 days, some may take a little longer. Good luck, and hopefully someone will have the answer to your origional question. You have come to the right place
Awww thanks so much! It’s been a journey and hard not to get so attached lol. So will they hatch if it’s longer than 21 days? also curious why you said “glad to hear you can keep a rooster” are you not able to have a rooster in Nola?

Eggs have been known to hatch later than 21 days, I don't know how much longer. I was hoping someone who knows more than I do would come along and give you an educated answer, maybe they still will.
Here Roosters are considered"exotic animals", Hens are not and maybe kept as pets. :lau:lau
It is really stupid but it is the law. It also depends on what neighborhood you live in. I had. a rooster for the first 4 years we had hens. Most people loved him. Our neighborhood patrol officer would come visit him and pet him if I had him out in the front with his girls.
Then we got a new neighbor who reported me to the SPCA and they gave me 15 days to rehome him. He ended up at a friend of my sister in law's north of the lake on a small farm. Now I just keep hens and buy eggs when one goes broody. Our rooster took really good care of the hens, he was large and would face down hawks, he even spiked a rat in the head who tried to eat the hens food. He did respect people, including my daughter who was about 7 at the time.

Awww that’s SO sad to hear that. That’s how our bantam rooster was to us and his hens! Our black Sumatra became extremely aversive after our bantam rooster died. He came after the husband and kids so we had to bring him to farm too. I had no idea there were diff laws for roosters vs hens! We have a few neighbors with chickens so I never looked into it. Now I will thank you!

An update! One of our eggs hatched!!! It was dated mar 04. It’s all black so looks to be black Sumatra. We have two more reg size eggs mar 03, and mar 04 and a bantam egg mar 08 all with pips and can hear chirps. :wee

An update! One of our eggs hatched!!! It was dated mar 04. It’s all black so looks to be black Sumatra. We have two more reg size eggs mar 03, and mar 04 and a bantam egg mar 08 all with pips and can hear chirps. :wee
So glad you waited, I am really excited to hear what else you get :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:highfive:🥳👑

I believe your error is that you are starting your count from the date the eggs were laid, not starting from the day the hen started the incubation process.
Eggs will stay viable for up to 2 weeks until placed in an incubator or under a broody. Once started all the eggs will begin formation at the same time and will hatch close to the same time.
I also wonder if you may be dealing with stagared batch.
Is it possible that new eggs have been added to the batch by other hens?

Back
Top Bottom