Help! Huge saddle shaped air cells!

Hi, I am on day 6 and now notice the saddle detached air cell. I was hoping to see if you could send a picture of the exact egg carton cut out. You mentioned that you cut the bottom out too. I have been hand turning the eggs which are on their sides in a Mini Advance Brinsea but have this one egg in a carton, pointed end facing down. I am assuming that I will be turning from angle to angle and gentle 1/4 turns now while the egg is standing up to give it its best chance? Thank you for any advice anyone may have at this stage of development. I can see the eye, veins candling it now on day 6.

Hope these pics help you. I cut cartons down so the sides are shorter and push a hole through the bottom using a knife or scissors.
D3B9A8BE-485C-431B-BDA6-3677BD1A6192.jpeg

F0831EFC-71BB-4116-BC5B-283AE6522649.jpeg

4729576F-353F-4AC4-A024-496D3841C02F.jpeg

Thank you for the photos! OK I am completely stumped. I have an egg that is now day 7. Yesterday it had a displaced air cell in the shape of a saddle so I decided to move it vertically with the blunt side up and pointed end down. This egg does not have a pointy end. Both ends are very blunt but one is a bit more noticeable and this is the end I placed at the top in an egg carton. Today, now I candled it to see how it was doing and the air cell was on the bottom of the egg! Not sure what to do??? No more saddle but the air cell is at the wrong end from my observation of the blunt side. Any suggestions??

I would candle again and check where the air cell is. Once you know set the egg so the air cell is on top of the egg. Did you start turning this egg straight away after you initially set it?
It could be that the air cell is totally detached. Is the embryo developing in the egg?

Yes I waited 3 days before turning and yes it was a detached air cell but you could not see it in the beginning. I did what you mentioned and the air cell ended up at the bottom after setting it up vertically which was really weird. I placed it on its side again like all of the other eggs and the air cell is once again at the blunt end with a much less saddle indention. Yes there is continual development. I have decided to leave it on its side like the others since the air cell was more in the correct position unless you might have another idea?

Hi, I am currently incubating 8 eggs right now and also have the Saddled aircell on my eggs. (shipped eggs)

I have read this post and have some questions. Should I keep turning my eggs regularly on it's sides and on day 18 set them "upright" in the carton.

Or should I set them upright right now with the aircell on the top. I am about Day 11 into the incubation right now.

I am using a Nurture Right 360 incubator with 99.5 on temps and about 50% humidity.

Thank you so much for your help any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Please help! I really need some advice about what I should do for these eggs. This is my first time hatching. They are silkie eggs at day 11 and they are all moving and look great except for these huge wonky shaped air cells, and they are only getting larger and extending down past the middle of the egg in a tear drop shape making me wonder if the membrane is literally detaching from the shell wall. These are shipped eggs and only 5 developed out of 22 eggs. They have been in a still air with fan and auto turner. I have had the humidity 20-30 but I started to raise to humidity yesterday when I discovered the size of the air cells. I am so afraid they are going to get stuck and not be able to rotate or hatch because of the little room. Has anyone had eggs with enormous air cells that still hatched fine? What did you do to help them hatch?
I was thinking of giving them to my broody to hatch since she wont screw up the humidity but I am concerned about if these eggs should be laying down on their side when the air cells look like this.
I read that some people prefer to hatch them in cartons with the sides cut down low and leaning kinda slanted so the air cell is up and should help avoid drowing.
I guess I am worried the most about them getting stuck and pipping on the wrong end, or me not getting the humidity right. I have been following a friends advise what she does to hatch her silkies but I dont think they have looked like this, so I dont know what to do. I want to give them the very best chance at hatching. Would they be ok on their sides or should they stay upright during hatching? Stay in incubator and maybe try the carton method, or.. give to my broody and just cross my fingers they hatch? What should I do?

Yes I waited 3 days before turning and yes it was a detached air cell but you could not see it in the beginning. I did what you mentioned and the air cell ended up at the bottom after setting it up vertically which was really weird. I placed it on its side again like all of the other eggs and the air cell is once again at the blunt end with a much less saddle indention. Yes there is continual development. I have decided to leave it on its side like the others since the air cell was more in the correct position unless you might have another idea?
I am going through exactly the same dilemma . I am now at day 8 and have two eggs developing well except the saddle aircells . I also have two broody hens sitting on some unfertilised eggs. So I am concerned if I put hem under the broodies the aircells will not be upright all the time??

I am going through exactly the same dilemma . I am now at day 8 and have two eggs developing well except the saddle aircells . I also have two broody hens sitting on some unfertilised eggs. So I am concerned if I put hem under the broodies the aircells will not be upright all the time??

Back
Top Bottom