help! humidity question

FreeRange Drulie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 26, 2009
humidity in our incubator (Lg) has been slowly decreasing since we put our eggs in about 10 days ago. it started at 45% or so and now is ~34%. i read something somewhere on dry hatching for the beginning period then cranking it up for the hatch(day 18+).
is 34% too low? am i endangering our chicks? what is an acceptable humidity level for both before and after day 18?
we candled the eggs a day or two ago and it was looking much more promising than our last hatch. of the 4 we looked at all had veining. we have 41 in there, should i lower my expectations now that i've had this humidity drop?
i learned so much since joining this forums and i figured if anyone could help it would be here? thanks again!
drew & julie

edit: dang wrong forum topic, please move to hatching, sry

Last edited:
34% is fine. Just don't let it go below 25%. Do a search on dry incubation and you should find some good posts about it. I've done mine between 45% and 25%, not letting it get over 45% till close to hatch, and refilling when it got close to 25%. Works quite well.

Good luck. Lots of great information on these forums. I never imagined I'd be hatching chicks in incubators I built myself, but here I am, and it's so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom