HELP!! humidity wont raise!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vlapinta, Apr 29, 2011.

1. vlapinta

vlapinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    Three of my ducklings have hatched. Two are still stuck in the egg. One of the eggs is shaking nonstop and one isnt even moving. The humidity is around 70% and wont go up no matter what i do!! I have both water chambers filled and a bowl with sponges. I dont know what to do! The humidity wont go up! Please help!!!!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Have you closed up some of the vent holes?

" no matter what I do" have you been opening the incubator??? If so you may as well open it again and spray the eggs with a mist of warm water.

3. vlapinta

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    Even with three other ducklings in there?

4. vlapinta

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    And yes the vents are closed. I did open it once for a quick second. Should I spray the two eggs with warm water?

5. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I usually drench a clean sponge with hot water ... the steam from the sponge should raise your humidity quickly

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Humidity can take a while to build back up again once the incubator is opened. Humidity rises with the increase of surface area of water in the incubator so having wide shallow containers for the water is better than deep narrow ones. Spray the eggs and see if the egg that hasnt moved in a while starts moving again- it could indicate it is unable to move in the egg due to being shrinkwrapped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by