Help! Humidity ??

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I got a new Hovabator 1588 with turner, and ordered some eggs. I plugged it in on Monday to get it up and running before my eggs came. The temp is staying very nicely at 99.7 but I am having a heck of a time keeping the humidity over 56%. I have added water 2 of the 3 days, even in the extra resivor, and it will go up to 58-59% but then drop back down to 56%-57%. Any ideas on getting it up where it needs to be and keeping it there??

I had 10 Cochin eggs come today and have 17+ Silkie eggs coming tomorrow. I am so dang excited I can hardly stand it. This is my first hatch, and I want to have the best odd's possible for these little things. Thanks for your help!!

Steffanie

That humidity might be a bit high for the first 18 days. Temperature is more important than humidity. On the last 3 days, get the humidity to be in the 60's by adding a sponge to increase surface area. For now, the 50's or even 40's is fine.

Good luck!

Keep your humidity between 30% and 50% for the first 18 days. On day 18 when you stop turning you can add water to all the wells in the water tray and the humidty will climb. When the chicks pip you will find the humidity will raise too. You can alos try slipping a new, clean sponge full of warm water to the side of the bator and you should see a big climb in your humidity.

My humidty jumped so quick I had to use a turkey baster and suck it out of the tray wells.

I am going to edit this to add that if you go look in the learning center in the hatching links there is a very good link there for dry hatching. Read that before you set your eggs. You'll glean a ton of info from it.

Quote:
I agree that is too high. I usually have mine at 45-50% until mine pip. There should be a very informative instruction sheet that comes with the unit. Take some time and read it over.
smile.png

I fill the one tray with water and it reads about 45%. I run aquarium tubing to the water troughs and I add 1 1/2 oz. of water a day to hold it at that reading. Then on day 18 I have to fill both water troughs and add some water in to the trough on the side for it to read 70%.

I am at day 17 I have had all my wells filled since day 1 and my humidity stays 47-52% Now saying that should I just put a bowl of water in tomorrow morning???

The more surface area exposed the hight he humidity will climb. Do you have a shallow dish you could put in or a soaking wet clean sponge in and set it in the bator?

Back
Top Bottom