Help! hurt 1 week old chick

arkansaschicks

Songster
9 Years
May 28, 2010
little rock
I really need to know how is the best way to handle this situation. I had one baby chick born last Friday with a sore spot or tumor looking thing on his head. I let my
hen hatch them and she has been looking after the three of the chicks in their secluded area of the coop.The chicks head had been looking like the spot was getting smaller all week. I went in today to check on them and obviously the other chicks had started pecking on her head and she was very bloody and laying in the hay. I have brought her in and have her on a heating pad and trying to give her water with a little sugar in it. I have scrambled her a little egg but she will not eat it. She is responsive but looks horrible!! What can I do to make her chances of surviving better. Need advice!!!

The farm store has this product called "Blue Coat" that you spray on, and it is supposed to help the wound heal and also the blue color deters pecking.......wasn't too expensive...I'm thinking like $5.00.

Darn chickens, once they see blood or something like a sore....they just can't help but peck it!

Back
Top Bottom