HELP!!! Hurt hen acting weird

rooaroo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
I posted that a couple of my hens have wounds under their wings from my rooster's mounts. I have them separated, saddles on, wounds blue-koted..... Everything was fine yesterday after and the hens seemed irritated with me for making them sit on my lap. This morning one of my hens with wounds, a Wynadotte, is acting funny. She stands on the roost or ground, falling asleep, wont take treats and lets me get close, both not normal at all. She is kinda puffed out and seems sad. WHAT is wrong with her. The wound looks like it is starting to heal, no bugs or rotting that I can see on her or wound. She hasn't laid an egg in a couple of days....I am really worried. Should I keep her away from the rest? I need advice I am not the greatest farmer. I am a city rat playing country mouse...if you know what I mean! Thanks for anyone's help!

The wound might be sapping her energy so you might have to give her food by syringe. My thread that talks about it is "Rich Food for the Sick". Hope it helps!
thumbsup.gif

She has hardly moved about the run and has now laid down. I do not know what to do! I am really worried now since I read a number of other things folks have happen with their chickens. How can I syringe her food? It is pellets. Get it wet and mash it? Is there something people food that I could give her? Broth?

I think I would separate her. You can give her syringe liquids if needed, electrolyte vitamin solution, and/or wet food.
I am nursing my pullet and this seems to work. She loves cheese as a treat.
Best of luck.

You can give her mashed, boiled egg yolks with a bit of water in it to make it pasty and give that to her through a syringe.

Back
Top Bottom