Help! I accidentally got Cornish X

I've a CornishX hen, productive member of my flock, lays most days, will be one year old April 10. Free ranges all day, fed once in the evening with the rest of the flock. Still navigates the ramp and beds down in the raised hen house at night. Both her brothers were six months+ when we ate them, same diet and schedule. The fourth sibling was taken by predation (aerial) about four months, but was healthy at the time. That's the story of the four CornishX I brought home last April.

Anyone who says it can't be done is mistaken.

That said, Don't Do It! A 12# plus bird that can hardly hop, can't fly at all, and does a wide footed wobble in fashion that makes a duck walk, or a three legged race, look graceful is not "pet material". Neither is it fast enough to escape a neighbor's dog or any similarly sized predator. She's also so big she has trouble keeping her @$$ end clean. I keep her for genetics only - as soon as she starts having leg troubles, suffers the FL heat (more concern than cold, with a bird this large), or goes into molt and stops laying, she's becoming sausage.

My advice? Rehome them, sell them to a local farmer, whatever. Sooner, rather than later. Accept that they will make someone some nice meals. Call this lesson learned, do a little more research on what you want in pet chicken breed, make a top 5 breeds list, then hold out for them. The more common the breed, the better the chances you will find them without waiting too too long.

With the right diet regulation and activity, meat birds can and will have a semi-normal life. We got a batch of meat birds and only managed to keep two from predators. One was a rooster who actually managed a normal weight. The hen was larger and definitely a meat hen, but she was able to actually fly on the roosts and even get up into trees on her own. They do better free ranged and it’s best to not leave food out all the time because they will literally eat themselves to death. We just used scratch and the field and she lived a long time before a predator got her :(
View attachment 2586294
View attachment 2586295
I actually have a thread about this called like “tips and tricks to keep meat birds alive” or something like that.
Oh my goodness, I was playing a game of find Waldo for a minute before I could see the chicken.

Same thing happened to me: was told one of my 6 chicks was a Buff Orpington, but after 4 or 5 days watching them grow realized the feed store's mistake. Emperor Peepatine is definitely a Cornish something. I've had them a week and a day, and she's 2.5X the weight of my next largest chicks, and 3.5X the smallest! I'm annoyed because she's throwing off all my timing plans for moving them, and the feeding routines too. I have her separated now. I'm less annoyed that I don't get the buff orpington I wanted. I'm going to give her the best life I can, but culling a baby I've raised in my very first ever batch of chicks is going to be very, very hard.

You have a choice. You can keep them as long as they live or you can give them to someone who will eat them. Personally, I don't think keeping them hungry and forcing them to exercise is doing them any favors. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

You have a choice. You can keep them as long as they live or you can give them to someone who will eat them. Personally, I don't think keeping them hungry and forcing them to exercise is doing them any favors. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
^ Seconding this.

Same thing happened to me: was told one of my 6 chicks was a Buff Orpington, but after 4 or 5 days watching them grow realized the feed store's mistake. Emperor Peepatine is definitely a Cornish something. I've had them a week and a day, and she's 2.5X the weight of my next largest chicks, and 3.5X the smallest! I'm annoyed because she's throwing off all my timing plans for moving them, and the feeding routines too. I have her separated now. I'm less annoyed that I don't get the buff orpington I wanted. I'm going to give her the best life I can, but culling a baby I've raised in my very first ever batch of chicks is going to be very, very hard.
Mistakes do happen. Neighbor of mine went to the hatchery to pick up some White Rocks. The girl at the desk was new and did not know what she was doing because after a few weeks it was obvious he had Leghorns, not White Rocks. He was not happy.

Mistakes do happen. Neighbor of mine went to the hatchery to pick up some White Rocks. The girl at the desk was new and did not know what she was doing because after a few weeks it was obvious he had Leghorns, not White Rocks. He was not happy.
Yeah, I'm trying to be less annoyed than I am. It's just my HOA has a limit to the number of backyard chickens we can have at 6, and I really wanted a buff orpington in my little flock. It doesn't help that I went to tractor supply today to pick up crumbles and there were a bunch of little buff orps there ready to go. Also, I'm really not prepared for a "meat bird".

Yeah, I'm trying to be less annoyed than I am. It's just my HOA has a limit to the number of backyard chickens we can have at 6, and I really wanted a buff orpington in my little flock. It doesn't help that I went to tractor supply today to pick up crumbles and there were a bunch of little buff orps there ready to go. Also, I'm really not prepared for a "meat bird".
Honestly, I would just sell it or rehome it. It saves you the heart break, and someone else can do the deed. As awful as it sounds, it's the best case for it.

Then you can get your buff, and you won't have to run around trying to keep a meat bird alive that is actively trying to die on you.

Honestly, I would just sell it or rehome it. It saves you the heart break, and someone else can do the deed. As awful as it sounds, it's the best case for it.

Then you can get your buff, and you won't have to run around trying to keep a meat bird alive that is actively trying to die on you.
That's just not how I roll with animals. It never has been and it never will be. If it comes to it, I'll buck up and do the deed. If anyone is going to eat my Peepatine, it's going to be me.

That's just not how I roll with animals. It never has been and it never will be. If it comes to it, I'll buck up and do the deed. If anyone is going to eat my Peepatine, it's going to be me.
That's understandable. I just mentioned it because I know a lot of people don't want to do it. I know I couldn't. I've yet to kill a bird/livestock. I personally just don't have to heart for it. I hope everything works out for you. Sorry the store/vendor even put you through this in the first place. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom