Help, I came home to a chicken massacre...

Quote:
That's nasty. It will kill anything and it is a terribly long and painful death. You CAN be charged for cruelty to animals for that.

I'm sorry you lost your chickens to your neighbors' dogs. Did you ask for compensation? I don't want to know what happened to the dogs.

Well if anyone goes through what I went through with my flock, it is time to be "cruel" to animals.....I am as much or more of an animal lover than anyone on here, but sometimes it just has to be done..

As far as the person not wanting to know what happened to the dogs, yes, I killed them....stone hammer dead !!!!!! And will not hesitate to kill anymore that comes in my yard, I have a LOT of time and money tied up in my farm for a couple of ill taken care of dogs to destroy !!! And btw, the owners of the dogs didn't blame me one bit for killing them, as they were handing me a check for my loses, but we all know we can't recoup what we have invested !!!!!

I have 78 Bobwhite quail, 106 RIR, and 8 Missouri Cottontails......if it trespasses on my farm, I will kill it !!!!!

Just remember what PETA really stands for "People Eating Tasty Animals" !!! In which I am a life long member
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sorry that you lost so many chickens to your neighbor's dogs, and at that point you were well within your rights to kill them, just as you would any other predator.

But this is about the worst piece of advice I've run across on this forum. No "animal lover" I know would ever seriously advise using antifreeze to poison a couple cats that more than likely had zero to do with what happened. Not to mention the fact that the original poster could get into legal trouble if he/she poisoned a neighbor's pet. I'm floored you would suggest such a thing, even in jest.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, Fowlman, that's just awful! I am so sorry. Were they your dogs or a stray?

I bought some spray on neosporin and also some blue kote and put them both on there. She had been picking at it, probably trying to get those last feather pieces out. Hoping the blue kote will stop her. I also picked up some live mealworms and I stopped her at 10, I think she would have eaten them all. I rented a live trap and placed it right where there was a massive amount of feathers. There's an egg inside, the soft one she laid last night. LUckily, she's definitely not in shock, she threw a fit about not being allowed out of her run this morning.

I also called my local "chicken guy". He happens to have a few 2 month pullets for sale. I'm going to give my girl a few more days and then maybe try to incorporate one of them. Unfortunately, we are going out of town this weekend, bad timing to try to nurse a hen, trap a predator and/or incorporate a new chicken.

BTW, do any of you have tips to keep neighborhood cats out of your yard? I can't imagine the neighbors cats did this but when I walked around the property this morning, there were 2 cats sitting on my fence. I threw rocks at them (too bad I missed) and they took off.

Just my two cents, but if possible, get a rooster to protect and be on the lookout for your hens. Our cockerel will charge at our pet cats if they are even just sitting too close... And it works because our two cats are now terrified of all the chickens. IMO, domestic cats are too small to take out an adult chicken anyway. (not to say it's never happened to somebody) Sorry about what happened to your girls, though.

everyone is missing my point here....I wouldn't put anti freeze out to kill cats, I would just shoot them, I know good and well a domestic cat can't harm my chickens. One poster asked how to take care of neighboring cats and I told her, sometimes you just cant catch them with time to shoot'em....listen people I am a trapper first when it comes to predators, proof is below, please don't make me out to be a bad animal lover because I told a fellow poster how to deal with some stray cats...when anything threatens my farm and animals, all bets are off... so all of you TRULY "PETA" advocates can stop posting in this thread.....because I will always KILL when I HAVE TO, by any means NECESSARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

74007_photo-0012.jpg

74007_photo-0020.jpg

So please, everyone get off the antifreeze bit....

Last edited:
Quote:
I think that the fact that you said it in the emergencies/diseases/injuries section as opposed to the predators/pests section where people are seeking solutions to predators and pests is part of the problem. This isn't the area of the forum where people tend to come to read how to dispatch predators...
idunno.gif

BigDaddy'sGurl :

I think that the fact that you said it in the emergencies/diseases/injuries section as opposed to the predators/pests section where people are seeking solutions to predators and pests is part of the problem. This isn't the area of the forum where people tend to come to read how to dispatch predators...
idunno.gif

That would be my fault. I didn't realize there was a separate section to be posting in for predators, since my thread was originally about what to do with the remaining chicken I didn't realize I needed to move the conversation elsewhere.

Thank you all for your support. We have concluded that it was a stray dog that got in through a fence board my son had moved earlier in the day. We've seen him blazing through the neighborhood, no-one can catch him. Lord help him if I do though.​

Back
Top Bottom