Help! I can't figure out which chick is what! 1 cream leg bar, 2 speckled sussex, 7 welsummer (2 of

LandonJ

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 16, 2014
I am new at chickens and I ordered 20 chicks from an online hatchery. I split the order with my niece because I wanted only 7 and thought they'd ship better in a larger group. The order was 2 buff laced polish, 2 white crested blue polish, 2 Dominiques, 5 straight run welsummers, 2 girl welsummers, 2 olive eggers, 2 white sultans, 2 specked sussex, and 1 cream leg bar girl. I got 20 chicks but was missing the 2 buff laced polish, so 2 chicks are mystery chicks. The blue polish and sultans were obvious. There were 3 that could be the dominiques (maybe the one was an olive egger). There is one I think is the olive egger because it has green legs and muffs. The two light grey I'm not sure about (olive eggers or mystery chicks?) and the the rest look like chipmunks. Some of the chipmunks have yellowish chests so I'm thinking they could be the speckled sussex. One chipmunk is darker and more grey then the others, maybe it's the cream leg bar, but it has a light spot on the top of it's head and girls aren't supposed to have that. I'm so confused! I didn't even think about not being able to tell them apart. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

The darker grey in the top left is the one I think may be a olive egger.

I have two that are like the light grey one. Olive egger or mystery chick?

Is the cream leg bar the darker of these two? You can see a lighter spot on the top of its head.

Well, sussex have white legs, and welsummers have yellow legs. Otherwise they look VERY similar. And Legbar pullets can occasionally have a tiny head spot. You may have to wait until everyone is older to really ID them well.

Last edited:
Well, sussex have white legs, and welsummers have yellow legs. Otherwise they look VERY similar. And Legbar pullets can occasionally have a tiny head spot. You may have to wait until everyone is older to really ID them well.
x3

I think the light grey mystery chicks may be Columbia Wyandottes. Do you think that's a good possibility? Thanks for your help, I think I have the speckled sussex figured out. The with the white legs also have a white feather at the bottom of their wings.

i have the Welsumer, look like chip munk when little. (so do bielfelder)the one with the white spot on head is your cream leg bar and the dark one is amercana cant help with the others.

i forgot to say something else to tell the welsumer males from females the females have the more prominate stripping i believe. they will also get the third lay of feathers first.

Back
Top Bottom